12

STARS ARE ON YOUR SIDEross copperman0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

ross copperman
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Nyx looked up at the starless sky with her feet planted on the muddy ground. 

Her heart wanted nothing more than to call out to her moon that was forced to go into hiding by the thick, misty clouds that wore the colors of a raging storm so frighteningly. They were powerful, yes, pent up with so many unspoken feelings, and yet, they failed to turn the celestial orb's divine radiance into dust. 

The untouchable canvas had donned so many beautiful forms in the past hour, changing from a gorgeous golden to a dazzling merge of purple and pink. 

The mountains, like shapeshifters, had lost their comforting and scenic appeal to change into a menacing lure that sent the iciest of chills through a heart that wasn't made to brave the threats of darkness. 

There was an eerie melody lurking around the cold air like a drug, dominating all surroundings. 

Creatures of the shadows lay noisily still in their shelters, breaking out into occasional choruses of ghostly tunes.

Webber and his batch of campers had gotten to the campsite – or, to put it correctly, a few kilometers from it – about seven minutes ago. 

It was safe and accurate to say that they'd missed all of the day's adventurous activities because of the tire-burst incident that had them trapped in the bus for three hours, and along with it was the time they'd spent stuck in the awfully slow traffic. Lucky and relieving for them, they'd gotten to their destination right before dinner. 

So really, not everything was unfavorable to them. 

Webber had been asleep for most of the ride, meaning Martin had the pleasure of driving in absolute peace. The rest of his passengers had been exhausted too and had chosen to wordlessly rest as well.

Presently, after the coach had hurried his students off the bus, everyone was sorting through the luggage trying to identify which one of it was theirs. Well, that was a couple of minutes ago. The coach had immediately restricted all movement as soon as he'd sensed signs of a circus that the teenagers would surely make out of something so simple. Consequently, he'd assigned a boy with a buzz cut, Trevor Lee, the duty to return his classmates' stuff.

"Whose is this?" Trevor called out loudly to be heard over the chatter of his fellows. 

Nyx raised her hand in the air to signal that the backpack being held up was hers. She was about to walk closer to him to collect her possession, but Trevor carelessly threw it in her direction without so much as an apologetic glance when the force rammed into her chest, hurting a little, and sent her stumbling a step behind. She only let out a quiet sigh and picked up her backpack from the muddy ground before dusting it with her palm.

Azriel had seen this.

He was standing with Warren while the latter conversed with some classmate of theirs. Without thinking twice, Azriel snatched the boy's bloated sack from his hands and, with raging lightning in his mystical eyes, raised his arm before hurling it in Trevor's direction at a burning speed. 

The sudden weight caught Trevor with utter surprise and the impact sent him toppling a few steps back till his body hit the bus with a dull 'thud'.

"What was that?" Warren asked with furrowed brows. Azriel gave a casual shrug, "Just helping the little dipshit out."

Going against what his demon was saying, the raven monster turned his head to look at Nyx. 

Their gazes locked together as they stood apart, the distance not allowing their souls to recognize the words their elemental eyes were trying to convey – her fire was hopeful, his watery forests were uncertain. The pair knew why the boy had done what he did. Neither of them understood why, though. 

Feeling the pull of his senses tug him back to the storm his mind was constantly in, Azriel tore his stare from the girl's and turned away, feeling the burn from her flaming eyes skim over his chest. 

"Alright, flashlights on everyone!" Webber instructed his students once they were done sorting through their belongings. 

The campsite was uphill. They'd driven halfway there and since the slope ahead was a bit too narrow and steep for buses, they had to leave it behind and were to walk all the way to the top. 

It was less than four kilometers, not that much of a task, but carrying bulky sacks made everyone regret their unorganized decisions of bringing along unnecessary things that they surely wouldn't need. 

Everybody did as the coach said. Their flashlights lit up the path best as they could as they began climbing. 

Because her cell's battery was around ten percent from dying completely, Nyx chose not to use it. She had to use the remnants of the device's power to message Nova and let her know that they'd traveled safely despite the deadly fiasco. Although, she doubted her mother would care.

An arm delicately wrapped around Nyx's shoulders, distracting her from her thoughts. 

Warren grinned down at his friend, his warmth relieving her heart for those couple moments. "Slept well?" he teased, dropping his arm back to his side. She nodded, "My neck's sore, so definitely."

Peeking over the aureate's shoulder, which was hard considering how tall he was compared to her, Nyx's eyes found Azriel walking at their pace, his face neutral like it always was. His backpack was lazily hung around his left shoulder while his other hand was buried in the pocket of his jeans. She glanced down for long enough to catch sight of his high-tops to see if the laces were untied and, as expected, they were.

"Is he going to be ok?" Nyx whispered to Warren. 

After looking at his best friend for a moment, he leaned down to say equally quietly, "We'll just have to make sure he doesn't burn the place down or toss someone off the cliff. Other than that, we're good to go,"

Rolling his eyes, Azriel informed, "You two are not subtle at all." 

"Who said we were trying to be?" Warren grinned with a raise of his brow. 

As a reply, Azriel held up his middle finger, making his best friend chuckle. The hazel-eyed boy then wandered off ahead, losing sight of the pair as he lost himself in the crowd of his peers that he wasn't the least bit fond of.

"He doesn't like being around a lot of people – and when I say a lot, I mean everyone. I'm positive that it's taking every last ounce of his strength to not hijack one of the buses and steer himself back home," Warren joked as he looked down at the girl walking with him, earning a soft chuckle from her.

"He doesn't like the world, does he?" Nyx said more than she asked, her voice quiet and eyes dazed. 

Warren didn't know the right words to use to answer that, he wasn't even sure if there were any.

The nyctophile jumped to his aid, nudging him lightly as she assured, "He'll find his place in it, Warren. Maybe then it won't seem so bad."

Licking his lips, Warren looked up at the sky with his twinkling eyes holding the night's brightest stars, "And if he doesn't?"

Nyx did so too, finding no moon for comfort. "Then he deserves more, he deserves better."

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•