15

CARRY YOUruelle, fleurie 0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

CARRY YOU
ruelle, fleurie
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"How do you know if we're headed the right way?" Nyx asked, cautiously attentive to the ground she was walking on, not wanting to repeat what had happened earlier.

In reply, Azriel gave a casual shrug and answered briefly, "We'd been taking a straight path in, takes a simple U-turn to go back."

Nyx hummed in response, "So everyone else must already be at the campsite, then?"

"They should be. The staff and the guide would never lead a bunch of idiots to the deepest part of the woods," Azriel confirmed.

At his choice of words, Nyx let a laugh dance past her lips.

The sound of it conquered Azriel's senses almost immediately, overpowering all sense of control in him. Nothing could stop the raven monster from looking down at the girl, eyes hazed with unconcealed admiration.

Even the demon reigning his soul couldn't deny the simplicity of Nyx's beauty - the way her eyes were ablaze with passionate ambers, her glossy cinnamon strands that waved around in the wind with ease, cheeks and lips adorably flushed like roses, voice gentle like a hushed melody.

He blamed the chills passing through his heart on the cold, trying so hard to deny that she was the reason for his slowed and quieted breathing.

"Sorry," Nyx choked out one last chuckle, shaking her head, "but that was so precise."

With a corner of his lips turned up the slightest, Azriel looked ahead.

A few moments after letting themselves lose, the pair lapsed into another one of their content silences. Walking under a starry sky on a night so bewitching, finding their way through a forest full of realms unknown, hands nuzzled in each other's, it all felt like a place they'd never been to, somewhere unmatched.

Home, that's what it felt like.

It felt warm regardless of how cold their bodies were, it felt safe regardless of how haunted their souls were.

This feeling that they were slowly and steadily opening their arms to, it was their wonderland.

Neither of the two knew how long it had taken for them to get back to the campsite.

When the short, wooden gates and fences came into view, Nyx and Ariel - with a howl of disapproval in their hearts - broke the embrace their hands had settled in.

A distance of an arm fell between the pair as everything seemed to fall back in place like it always had been - hardly any words exchanged, a crumbling gap pushing one away from the other, and the voices of their innocent yearning had gone mute once again.