22

BETTERsyml0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

BETTER
syml
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Look at that, Oreo," Nyx said to the little puppy that was snuggled in her cold arms, diverting his attention from her face as he followed her finger that was pointed up. 

There was no prettier canvas than the sky tonight, a beautiful midnight blue, glistering with dazzling stars infinite, a radiant half-moon adorning all that was bewitching about it. 

Azriel had driven them up on a hill far away from the city lights where only nature could be heard, a place that was so much like the wonderland they'd always only imagined and never had.

The raven monster felt struck every time he glanced at the nyctophile sitting next to him in the truck, window rolled down completely, hair left open to dance with the wind that combed through it, eyes admiring all that lay beyond her reach, nothing but a smile on her lips as she owned her element - the night.

Currently, they were parked on some open ground, small but sufficient, that was bordered by trees and a broken fence. 

They were surrounded by darkness and the cries of the creatures that were sheltered in the shadows. The moon's radiance was the only source of light around. The weather up here was body-trembling and teeth-chattering cold. 

Nyx's uniform was not enough to provide her with the slightest bit of protection against the gusts of every icy breeze that whipped past her occasionally. 

But then again, it's not like she knew that a certain raven-haired boy with the most gorgeous eyes would drag her into this bitter night without warning.

Licking her frozen lips, Nyx pulled Oreo closer to her chest, letting the pup nuzzle deeper into her shivering arms, wanting to pass on the little bit of warmth from his fur to the girl who needed it more. 

She turned around to check on Azriel. 

He was shuffling around on the bed floor of the pickup, setting up blankets for them to sit on. 

He looked so snug in his baggy hoodie and his beanie, and Nyx let out a misty chuckle as she wondered if he'd ever tripped because of his open laces. 

Feeling her eyes on him, partly wanting to check on her, Azriel looked in her direction. 

She was about to give him a small smile but a crisp wind whooshed past her, sending her stumbling a step forward on her shaking legs, making her chattering more obvious than before.

With a concerned furrow in his brows, Azriel dropped the blanket from his hands and placed his palm on the tailgate, effortlessly jumping down and landing on his feet before walking over to the girl.

Nyx gave out a small sneeze that took Oreo by surprise, making him let out a small bark. 

Azriel's eyes swept over her face once he was standing close to her, their chests a hand's length apart. Her cheeks were tinted red as if blushing from the cold, her nose was redder, and her peach lips had lost color because of how numb they'd become.