14

I'LL GET YOU HOMEby the coast0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

I'LL GET YOU HOME
by the coast
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

It was well past ten in the night when the students of Auradon High had been informed that they would be taking a long walk through the woods to enjoy what the night had to offer - which, according to the teens, included various ways to die without trying or willing to do so. 

The camp staff assured them that it was safe and they'd be taken care of, and it was appropriate to say that nobody believed them.

Yet, here they were, aimlessly journeying through the woods, already having walked halfway in too deep to back out now.

Once again, Nyx found herself trailing at the very back of the crowd. 

She didn't do so to exclude herself or even to disconnect from her classmates, but simply because she wanted to stray away from their pointless chatter so that she could selfishly savor every moment of breathing in the night like it was her favorite drug. 

The satisfying crunch of the leaves beneath her feet became fully what she wished to hear, and the abandoned chirping of the unloved nocturnal creatures was what her soul yearned to seek. 

The distance between her and the group wasn't wide enough to be unsafe, but it was sufficient to blur out their noise.

From where she was, Nyx could make out the distant figure of Layla Dean doing her best job at gluing every bit of her as close to Azriel as possible. 

Unfortunately for the raven-haired boy, his best friend had to stay back at the campsite with coach Webber since the man was fading in and out of reactions to allergies he never knew he had, because he had always avoided the camping environment or any other kind similar to it. This only fueled his distaste for this trip he'd been forced to attend. 

Layla's tricks had dispersed well amidst the other girls and boys. The former group was pretending to be unnecessarily afraid than it genuinely was and more than there was the need for, while the latter party was also doing great at masking on brave faces with a fearless facade, welcoming the former's touchiness with arms spread open. 

It made Nyx shake her head as a chuckle rolled past her mouth, finding the behavior of her peers very amusing to watch.

"Hey, loner," a gravelly voice directed at Nyx.

The girl took an unconscious step back when a boy, twice the size of her, who not only looked like a bully but also was one, blocked her path. 

"Switch." was all he said - or instructed, more appropriately - before snatching Nyx's torch out of her grasp and forcefully shoving in her way the one he was holding. Then, he was gone. 

Looking down at her hand, Nyx found a dead, out-of-battery torch resting motionlessly in her grip. With a clenched jaw, she moved her gaze to catch sight of the boy and demand her original flashlight back only to find him completely lost in the herd.