29

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Azriel was facing the setting sun, unaware that it didn't want to go without seeing him crack a small smile, and the best it could do was kiss the monster's gorgeous features golden. 

His hazel eyes rested closed, oceanic flecks no more than mere, powerless waves. 

There was so much peace canvassed onto his face, a scary contrast to the hurricane in his head. 

There were blurry voices singing a haunting memory in his thoughts, and despite the muddy vocals, their words remained deafeningly transparent. 

His scars lay gaping, they ran so much deeper than just his freshly bleeding knuckles. 

He looked terribly at terms with giving up. 

He didn't know what battle he was fighting, he didn't know what to pick up the sword for, he didn't know what to defend. 

He meant what he had said to Warren about not knowing who he was.

What would I be losing?

Nyx didn't make even a pinch worth of sound as she walked over to the boy, stopping only when she was right next to him. 

She stayed quiet even when she noticed the box of cigarettes sprawled open by her feet, one of the death sticks missing.

"I'm not smoking," Azriel broke the silence. "If that's what you're wondering,"

He opened his eyes, tilting his lolled head to the side. 

Where he'd expected for his little sister to be, stood the nyctophile. 

She was frowning at him. Her jaw was clenched and her eyes were glassy, fists clenched numbingly at her sides. 

His heart let out a shaky sigh. 

His gaze stayed locked on her for countless moments, wanting to confirm if she was really there or not. 

When the girl moved to take a seat by his side, letting her legs dangle off the edge of the roof, mirroring his posture, he knew that his sight wasn't betraying him.

"What are you doing here?" Azriel asked, voice low and husky. 

When she didn't say anything, he licked his flushed lips and tried again. 

"Seriously, Nyx, what are you here for?"

Without missing a beat, Nyx announced, "You." 

She was looking right at him now. 

He was amazed at how her amber irises were holding the same fire as the fading sun, beautiful and fierce like the tangy sky above them. 

He wanted to be there and nowhere else, underneath the setting sun, feeling the dying embers of the day with her, wanting to give her all of his stars that were to come.