17

ALREADY GONEsleeping at last0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

ALREADY GONE
sleeping at last
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

It was Tuesday, the day after Azriel had poured his thoughts down on Nyx like a bucket of ice-cold water. He was at his locker, lazily dumping his books in and grabbing the ones he needed.

As Layla Dean stood annoyingly close to him while he did so, taking every chance to glue herself to his side, Azriel had to constantly remind himself that Layla was a girl. He had a rule about not hitting girls. 

If it had been a boy that had irritated him as much as this girl did, the poor kid would've surely gone back home with a broken nose.

"You know," Layla began, "there's a rumor about you and that loner girl. Someone saw you two come back from the woods a lot later than everyone else,"

Too bored to pay exclusive attention to her, Azriel commented dryly, "Oh, so there was at least one person not taking part in your fuckery from the lake that night? That's a surprise since, you know, everyone here has the same rotten brains that are terrifyingly hopeless if not functioning together,"

Layla stiffened at his words. 

"Why do you let her hang around you and Warren so much? You can do so much better than that girl constantly lingering everywhere you go," she accused and advised. 

Rolling his eyes in indignation, Azriel dismissed, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You don't?" The increase in Layla's pitch caught the attention of by-passers who shamelessly walked slower to listen further, some even finding an excuse to stop. "That weirdo, you seem to enjoy her company a lot. Is she making you soft, or is she just an easy fuck?"

Azriel's eyes snapped down to the snowy blonde, and it was a surprise how the raging fire of his blue flecks wasn't burning through her solid jade ones. 

"What did you just say?" His voice was deeper than ever, warning her to back off.

Too lost in the standards that the world had set for her, the veiled vision repressed her sensitivity and simply smirked, realizing that she was winning a battle she hadn't intended on starting. 

"Don't tell me she's just your friend. The only friend you're capable of having is Warren Hudson. She's obviously giving you something for you to allow her to stick around as much as she does, that loser."

Was she implying that I'm using Nyx for a damn fuck?  Azriel thought, hating it.

Taking a threatening step closer to Layla, the raven monster slammed his locker shut. The iciness of his gaze finally sent a shiver down the girl's spine, making her gulp and stay in her place. 

"Just because I'm not responding positively to your constant attempts at bedding me doesn't mean you can go and make absurd conclusions about me, even if it fucking eases the sting of being told no," His tone, though calm, shook with anger.