19

RESCUE MY HEARTliz longely0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

RESCUE MY HEART
liz longely
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

It was a boring Wednesday afternoon when Nyx found herself sitting in the counselor's office.

The arrangement had her confused since her sessions were scheduled for Mondays and Fridays only, but everyone who took counseling had been called to Ms. Rose's office today one after the other, so they assumed it was for something important. 

Turns out, it was more relieving than important. 

Ms. Rose was moving states because of a reason nobody could care less for, as they had all stopped listening as soon as she'd mentioned that she'd be leaving in a few days. Nothing could've made them happier than knowing that their sessions would be coming to an end. 

Like every good thing, however, there was a catch here too.

"There'll be a new counselor taking over starting next week," Ms. Rose began explaining. "You'll be seeing him on your scheduled days for an hour as per your usual setting. It's not too big of a change, really," 

To show that she was listening, Nyx nodded in reply, trying her best not to sink into the cushioned chair from exhaustion. 

"Now, I haven't met your new counselor, but from what I've learned about him, he's very good at his job. He could be better than me too,"

Better at what exactly? Pretending to give two fucks about our problems?  Nyx thought.

The girl held back from rubbing her tired eyes, knowing that the action would make Ms. Rose question why she hadn't gotten any sleep last night. 

Nyx adored the woman's kind nature, she really did, but sometimes she questioned her abilities, doubting that she'd gotten her degree online. 

Few people in the world would want to burden themselves with problems that weren't their own, but those who made a professional commitment to it had just the one job to do, right? 

So why was it that every student who was unwillingly listed for counseling with Ms. Rose had gotten no real help from her, and why did they feel comfortable leaving the room instead of tending to their troubles?

They all had one answer - Ms. Rose didn't care much to dig deep enough to touch more than just the surface and solve any problems. 

In spite of this, these very people who doubted her, didn't care that she didn't care. 

As long as both sides were pretending that everything was progressing at a good rate, everybody got an early pass out. In the end, it was a win-win for both parties.

"Now, getting back to you," The nightmare began for the last time. "How's everything been at home?"

"It's been better, a lot better." Nyx lied fluently, adding a believable smile while fidgeting with her wrist gloves.