21

NO RIGHT TO LOVE YOUrhys lewis0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

rhys lewis
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Alright, that's it," 

The book in front of Nyx, one that she couldn't focus on reading, was snapped shut. The sound of the bundle of pages clapped against each other and Jane's voice snatched the brunette out of the distracted state she'd been in ever since the beginning of her shift this afternoon. 

Jane had been noticing her younger friend's low energy for the past hour, it surprised her when the girl didn't step in to stop Isaiah and Louise's argument that could've led to one of them setting the other on fire on a stove - and she'd had enough of it. 

Jane hated seeing Nyx like this.

"Huh?" Nyx blinked, licking the dryness of her lips. 

"What's gotten into you? You've been stuck on the same page for more than five minutes." the strawberry blonde frowned while saying.

"Nothing. I'm sorry." Nyx unconsciously apologised for no reason at all, standing up from her seat on the barstool behind the counter and straightening out her uniform. 

Truth to be told, her mind was still looming over everything that had happened yesterday. It was all sketched in her clouded head like a fresh, bleeding bruise that kept tearing up despite how hard she tried to tend to it. 

It wasn't only what Azriel had said, it wasn't just how her mother was making it so obvious how uninterested she was in her daughter, no. 

She'd felt so alone that night, sitting in the darkness of her room, blood on her hands and in her heart, that she'd grabbed her phone in her trembling, broken palms. She'd dialed the number that she hadn't heard from in so long. 

Her father had answered on the second try, but before she could even say a word, the man hung up abruptly after saying something about being caught up with work, falsely promising to call back.

He didn't.

Nyx had stayed up all night, waiting for a train that she now understood would never come. 

Her parents had drifted not only from each other but from their daughter as well, pushing her in the bottom of their separated hearts.

Presently, Isaiah and Louise sent a concerned glance each other's way, having heard Jane and Nyx's interaction. They'd taken note of the Nyx's behavior too. 

So, the pair stuck their heads out of the window in the wall dividing the kitchen from the diner - it was big enough for both of them to fit, still Louise would always knock the man out of the way and hog the space all by herself. 

Today, though, she did no such thing, she was worried for Nyx and her usual carelessness was nowhere to be seen.

Jane narrowed her eyes at the nyctophile's strangeness, not joking as she asked, "You do know that whoever's the reason for you to be feeling this way can be taken care of, right?"