27

BE THERE andrew simple0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

BE THERE
andrew simple
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

When Nyx was passing down the hallway nearest to the building's exit, she heard a terrifying sob echo from only a few feet away.

Her steps slowed down when she realized that it was a girl's voice, not yet able to put a face to the person breaking down at such a small distance from her.

Nyx knew the only unlocked way out of school was the one at the end of the corridor, so even if she wanted to give the other girl privacy and walk away by pretending that she hadn't acknowledged anything, she really couldn't.

Thus, the cinnamon head took quiet steps ahead, being careful not to make any sound.

Maybe I can get away without being noticed, she thought.

She did, however, make the fortunate mistake of sneaking a very brief glance at the trembling figure of the girl, all movement coming to an immediate and abrupt stop.

"Layla?" Nyx recognized.

Layla Dean's head whipped up to look at her so quickly that it hurt her neck.

The veiled vision and the nyctophile stayed motionless, only staring at each other with absolutely nothing to say, blinking once to confirm the other's presence.

Nyx took note of how Layla looked like the most beautiful mess she'd ever seen.

Her stunning jade eyes were glistening with salt and tinted with a hint of rose, her tomato cheeks were blotchy with tears, there was a florid sort of swelling in her lips from all the crying, her nose had turned beet and hot, and the velvety curls of her platinum hair were untidy as if they'd been irritated a lot, even the silvery glow of her messy locks had dulled down.

Sadness was a gorgeous color on the girl, an emotion she'd always felt but hardly ever tended to.

"You're not supposed to be here," Layla's voice broke with a hiccup, betraying her impulsive decision of covering up the state she was in.

She had expected the school to be empty considering how it was well past forty-five minutes since the day had ended and the bell had dismissed all students.

Nyx looked at her shoes, "Yeah, I-uh. . .I just had something to-to take care of,"

When Layla didn't say anything, Nyx licked her lips nervously and brought her eyes back to lock with hers, remembering something that Warren had said to her back at camp Tentage.

"I'm not going to ask you if you're ok or not since you obviously aren't," she mirrored softly, not entirely knowing how to comfort the girl in front of her.