3

HUNGER of monsters and men0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

HUNGER
of monsters and men
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

It was a breezy Monday afternoon when the sun's glow was partially lost in the snow-white clouds, as if it were playing a game of hide-and-seek with the hooded sky. 

Although there were no promising signs of rain, the day was far from being bright and warm, but it wasn't bitterly cold either. 

Simply, it was as pleasant as it could get. 

At a fine time like this, the halls of Auradon High stood quietly empty. 

With the usual bustle of students absent from them, they were flooding with an eerie sort of calm. It was all hauntingly silent, there was hardly anyone hanging around in the corridors - it was lunch hour, after all. 

Consequently, all chaos had been moved to the cafeteria, and some of this momentary zest could be heard echoing even on the school grounds where some of the students chose to be, wanting to enjoy the afternoon out in the open.

Nyx Hayden was the only one walking down these hallways, relishing the tranquility they offered, breathing in the scent of silence that blanketed the air.

Her face was buried in a chunky book that she had spent her weekend reading, held like some treasure in her cold fingers that were hidden underneath the sleeves of her baggy jumper. The only sound bouncing off the lockers was the squeaking of her shoes against the floors as she walked with her bag clinging onto her back and hanging down to the waistband of her skirt. 

Nyx's sensitivity was lost in the enchanting jumble of words that her lonely soul had wandered off into, and her concentration didn't waver even a little bit. 

That was until the absence of her awareness left her colliding right into someone, bringing both her feet and fascination to a screeching halt as she stumbled a step back.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't looking–" 

Nyx's immediate apology died down on her tongue only halfway through once the warm ambers of her eyes found narrowed hazel ones, the oceanic flecks in them fliring with irritation. 

"Hey," she greeted in a whisper, unable to comprehend why the boy in front of her looked so angry.

Azriel kept his gaze trained on Nyx for a couple of heartbeats, his face bland of any feeling.

 Without replying, he simply went back to focusing his attention straight ahead. 

When the trance of his hypnotic stare had finally ceased from clouding her consciousness, Nyx realized that they were both standing outside the cafeteria, right by the double doors that were thrown open, aiding a clear view of the circus happening inside.