28

RUN TO YOUlea michele0:00 ───|────── 0:00↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

RUN TO YOU
lea michele
0:00 ───|────── 0:00
↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

As promised, Warren was already waiting in Nyx's driveway when she arrived. 

It wasn't his car that caught her attention first, though, but it was the sleek Tiguan that had pulled in moments after the girl had hastily tossed her bike by the garage. 

Confused as to what her mother was doing back home this early, since the evening had just begun, Nyx stopped in her tracks for a short second. 

Reminding herself that she still had to chase after what was slipping from her hands with every breath she wasted, the girl continued to walk away from what she knew she had already lost.

"Nyx!" Nova's voice sent a chill down her daughter's spine. 

The woman, looking beautifully tired, stepped out of her car and called out to her child, who seemed to be running from her. 

It felt strange to be acknowledged after so long.

With her fists clenched at her sides, Nyx turned around without stopping in her tracks. 

With a broken smile on her peach lips, she said gently to her mother, "Not now, mom. I have to get to someone who I can count on to stay. . .I'll see you after I come back - if you're still here."

There was no malice in her voice, no hidden jab in her eyes, there was only a plain reflection of everything she'd come to terms with.

Nova watched as her daughter strayed further away from her, feeling a storm of guilt strangling her soul. She feared that she'd lost the tussle for her without even trying to fight. 

Especially today, the regret gnawed deeper in coordination with the sadness she felt after having lost half of her world.

Warren opened the door for Nyx and helped her climb into his jeep. 

With a concerned furrow in his brows, he asked, "Are you alright? You're scaring me," 

Nyx nodded hurriedly, "Get in and I'll tell you. Please, Warren."

The aureate, sensing the urgency in the girl's tone, shut the passenger's door for her and jogged over to the driver's side before seating himself. He then looked at her expectantly after offering her a bottle of water upon seeing how haywire she looked.

Her cheeks were flushed dangerously, her breaths were short and rapid, and her fingers were trembling ever so slightly as she brought the bottle to her unsteady lips.

"What the hell is going on, Nyx? Is someone bothering you?" Warren asked worriedly, ready to fight for his friend. 

Nyx shook her head and confirmed, "I'm ok, I promise."