CHAPTER 19

ZAYN POV

the officers dragged me out of the room. i didn't know what they wanted from me but all i know is that the last thing i want is to go to jail right now. in my mind i went through everything i did wrong.

maybe they finally found the broken window that i broke when i was like 6. maybe they think i did this to Y/n ... wait what if they do?
Y/n is a girl and i'm a boy. she's white and i'm
not. also two white cops. i am so fucked.

"hey are you okay?" one of the cops asked when i almost ran into a door because i couldn't get out of my thoughts. "uh yeah but if you don't mind me asking officer, where are we going?" i asked and hoped they didn't hear the pure anxiety in my voice.
"don't worry my boy it's nothing bad. you need to make a statement for what happened." he said and held me the door open to walk outside. the other officer opened the car door for me and let me in. "well i didn't see that much" i told him as he also got in the car. "we will talk about this when we are on the station. seatbelt on please" he turned around and pointed to the seatbelt. i just nodded and did what he said because you don't want to mess with a cop in that situation.

~~~

when we arrived at the police station it wasn't like i imagined it. i wasn't treated like i thought i would i was treated way better than i thought. when we walked in everyone who was there just friendly greeted us and then they brought me into a room.

it's one of the rooms you see in the movies when someone gets questioned and they play mind tricks with the officers. i had to sit down on one of these weird chairs who definitely were not the same they had in the movies but this isn't a movie this is real life.

"zayn. we will be back in a second. wait here and don't do anything stupid" told me the one officer i already talked to. i nodded and just leaned back.

'you drove her to her house. you've waited and you were on your phone. after a while she came out. you ran to her and then she passed out. you brought her to the hospital and you waited til she woke up.' i said to myself over and over again. i made sure not to mess up anything! if i say something wrong i will be in jail faster than you can realize. i was scared. sitting in a room while they definitely hear what i said and see what i did.

the door went open and two officers came in. they weren't the same as before. one was looking way more intimidating and the other one looked pretty friendly. i hoped this wouldn't be a good cop, bad cop number. my leg didn't stop bouncing and i cracked my knuckles like five times.

"recording 17th september 2020. Zayn malik." the friendly officer spoke into one of those recording things the police has. "okay zany you're an adult already right?" he asked and placed this thing right in the middle of the table we three were sitting on. i nodded and answered "yes. i'm 18 turning 19 in January." the police officer just nodded and wrote that down.

"could you maybe give us some informations about what you saw before you brought Y/n into the hospital?" the other cop asked. his voice didn't fit his image. his shirt was tight because of his muscles and his black hair and a little bit of the facial hair just made him look like a cop who would yell at me if i don't say what he wants me to say. in reality, even though he had a pretty deep voice, he had a soft tone in his voice. he leaned back and i sighed. i looked down on the table.

"i didn't really see much of the act happening. Y/n came to my house because her parents were fighting. i knew that that happened a lot of times and she also told me her dad wasn't the best dad and that she was scared of him when she was younger. she never really wanted to talk about it after so i never asked her on porpoise. i had friends over and when they left i asked Y/n if she wanted to stay for the night because i didn't want her to get hurt or anything. i said i would drop her off at her house so she could get some of her clothes for the night and for the next day because we would have had school the next day." my voice cracked. i tried to put as much detail in it as i could. my eyes got watery because of the anger and sadness i felt when i thought about what i had to say next.

"she told me that she didn't want me to get hurt so i should stay outside and wait in the car for her. she went in and i got on my phone. i didn't really do much. i was on instagram and after a while i started texting her where she was. she was now in the her house for over 10 minutes and as far as i know her she would have grabbed the first few shirts and pants she could find to get out of that house as fast as she could." i felt a single tear roll down my cheek and looked up for a second to see the one officer still writing and the other one was now sitting there, with his elbows on his knees while rubbing his chin and playing a little with the beard he grew. i saw him biting his lip and he scrunched his eyebrows together looking at me with worries.

"i- i texted her many times until i realized she left her phone in the car. my messages popped up on her lock screen. i probably waited for one or two more minutes until i saw the door open. Y/n was trying to walk down the few steps from their door to the sidewalk but she couldn't. she sat down and leaned against the front door. she seemed really in pain so i sprinted up to her and put her in my lap. her- i'm sorry. can i have a minute?" i asked. i couldn't do this. her arm, her stomach, her nose. i never wished to see Y/n like this and i wish this would never have happened.

i looked up and a wiped away a few dried tears. one of the men was still writing down everything while the other one just nodded. "i'll bring you some tissues and some water. i'll be right back" he said and stood up. i was alone with the officer who was still writing down. "i'm very sorry officer. i don't know if i can do this. this shouldn't have happened. i wanted to do the right thing but now she's in the hospital. i should have given her one of my hoodies but no i thought it was a good idea to drive her to her house even after all that happened. i'm so sorry" i buried my face in my hands. why am i just such an idiot.

"it's alright. you couldn't have known that her father was going to do that. it's not your fault. calm down and take a deep breath. we will finish here whenever your ready." he put his pen down and put his hand on my arm. "you both will be fine i promise" he said while looking in my eyes and giving me a little bit of comfort.
the other officer came back into the room and put down some tissues and a glass of water. "are you ready to finish this statement?" i nodded and took a sip of the water.