CHAPTER 22

"alright let's start" the taller officer said "i'm officer jackson. you can call me mr.jackson and i will ask you with my colleague mr.anderson a few questions!" i sighed.

"okay first question zayn. were you the one who did that to Y/n ?" i was shocked. this was the first question? oh god...
"no." i said confident and i knew it would say that i lied.
"that's the truth"

"that's good. next question. who did this?" those questions didn't start as easy as i thought they would.
"it was her father" i told him and my leg bounced up and down.
"please sit still zayn" the guy told me and stared at his laptop. i stopped bouncing my leg and mr.jackson asked me again. i answered the same thing and it turned out to be the truth.

"zayn i also have a question" mr.anderson now said. he was writing down what i said the whole time "you said that you weren't with Y/n when that happened is that right?"
"that is correct. i wasn't with her when it happened. i waited outside in my car" i said and looked nervously around the room.
"everything is the truth"

"then what we're you doing in your car?" mr.jackson asked again.
"easy. i was on my phone almost the whole time. the only time i wasn't on it was when i saw Y/n stumble out of the front door." i said.
"that's correct"

"and you were doing what on your phone?" again mr.jackson asked.
"i can't remember it very well but i think i texted one of my best mates" i told them but knowing exactly that there was more behind it.
"it's the truth but there's something that tells me that this is not the only thing that he did. what did you also do?" he looked at me.

"uh no i- i didn't do anything else on my phone" i stuttered. i fucked up.
"zayn. that was a lie. what were you doing on your phone?"

"do i have to?" i looked at everyone with a concerned look.
"of course you have this is an interrogation for the police you're giving here."
i sighed.

"i googled how i could surprise my girlfriend" i said quiet. i could feel how i went red.
"that is actually... the truth"

"so is Y/n your girlfriend" mr.anderson asked me.
"these are not the questions i want to answer to be honest" i said under my breath.
"that doesn't matter. can you answer the question now zayn?"

"fine! i googled it because i wanted to surprise Y/n with something because she was having a bad day!" i explained. "happy now?" i looked at them and especially at the lie detector dude and so did the two officers. "that's true"

"do you love Y/n ?" Mr.jackson then asked.
"is this relevant?" i asked a little pissed.
"yes it is because if you did this because you were jealous for example then this is a complete different scenario we have here" mr.anderson told me and tried to give me a comforting look.

i sighed and knew there was nothing more to do to avoid these questions "i don't know if i love her or not"

"you don't know?" the officers said at the same time and looked at me with the same confused looks.

"yes i don't know."
the two officers just looked confused at me and i already knew what the next question would be.

"i don't know because i've never experienced any kind of love after my childhood. my parents aren't at home and i basically live by myself. i never had someone to call my girlfriend or anyone to call important in my whole life. and love is a big and important word and i don't know if i love her or if she just makes me extremely happy" i said while my eyes got watery and my voice broke.

there were a few seconds of complete silence until the one officer asked "was that a lie or the truth".
"all of it is the truth"

~~

we sat there for around 10 more minutes and they completely left out questions about my relationship with Y/n after they saw how hard it was for me to say that i don't know if i love her.

when the officers didn't have any questions left they asked the dude with the lie detector to free me from all those wires. i was sweating even tho everything went great and as much as i knew i wasn't in any trouble.

linda said i should wait in the lobby again and she would tell me if needed to come back another time and if they knew if i could see Y/n again.

i had to wait in the now familiar lobby. i waited for not even five minutes when the two officers and linda walked towards me. "oh no am i in trouble?" i asked when i stood up. linda gave me a friendly smile and just shook her head "you definitely aren't"
i was confused but i believed her.

"would you come with us zayn?" mr.anderson also smiled at me and so did me.jackson. what was going on? why is everyone smiling?
"uh sure but if you don't mind me asking. where are we going and why are you all smiling at me like that?" i asked confused.
"just get in the car. you'll see"

when we walked to the car jared also walked out of the building but not with his police jacket in his hand he didn't wear any of the uniform he wore the last time...
"-and you all are shit and i never even like any of you! i hated working here anyways!" he yelled.
"what's up with him?" i asked the officers.
"he got fired. good work buddy! turns out he really was a racist and gave us wrong information about people many many times. we don't want a racist here so he got fired" mr.jackson was smiling even bigger than before and hopped in the police car.
mr.anderson got to the drivers side and i just hopped into the the backseat.

we drove for a few minutes and stopped at a flower shop. mr.jackson got out of the car while mr.anderson blindfolded my eyes. "what exactly are you doing here?" i asked. "you'll see. relax and just be happy" he said and i knew he wore a big smile on his face right now. what is up with these guys? "why should i be happy? i'm sitting in a police car, blindfolded, at a flower shop, had to make a statement for an attempted murder and i helped you to fire a colleague of yours. i have no idea what is going so please explain to me why i am here" i hoped they would explain it to me but all i heard was the car door. i was now alone in the car.

i heard how cars passed the police car on the street and i could hear some people talk outside. it took a few minutes until the door opened again. someone was sitting on the seat on the drivers side but i didn't know who of the officers. i didn't want to annoy them more so i didn't ask about it again. when the second one got in the car we started the motor and drove. where? i don't know.

the car ride was silent and i lost all my sense of direction and didn't even know where i was for a short period of time. when we turned for the last time i still didn't know where i was. someone gave me the flowers to hold and seconds later i got out of the car with the help of the officers.

when we walked into a house i couldn't identify where we were at all. i smelled a familiar smell but i didn't know from where i knew it. i got guided into an elevator. i heard nothing except for '1st floor' and '2nd floor' and lastly '3rd floor'.

where the hell was i?