CHAPTER 21

"so if i'm gonna ask them again they will tell me that you weren't the one who hurt her?" the lady, who's name was linda, asked while we were walking to the office where the two police officers i spoke to were.
"just listen to the tape. i said that it was her father and i was just sitting in the car waiting for her to get her stuff" i said and walked fast right behind her.

when we stood in front of the office door linda knocked on the door and waited a few seconds before she just opened it. "we didn't tell you to come in!" the one officer spoke. he was the one who wrote everything down while i was giving my statement. "and i don't care" linda just harshly said "we need to clear up some shit"

~

"and why exactly would you tell me to tell him that he should go home and that he probably won't see his girlfriend for at least a few days?" linda asked. this was going on for good 5 minutes.i just sat there not saying anything to not get in even more trouble.

"just look at him! he looks like someone who would abuse women!" the officer just chuckled and took a sip of his coffee.

"what?! no he doesn't?! he looks like a caring boyfriend you jerk!" linda yelled at him and because of her facial expressions i knew what she was thinking. she was in shock just like me.

"thank you linda! finally one who agrees with me" the other police officer said. "alex please shut up you're not involved in this whole situation" linda shushed him and turned back to the other police officer "jared you are a fucking jerk!"

"oh cmon babe. don't be angry at me! we will just take a lie detector test and then we'll see" jared rolled his eyes and my anger level was just over the top now. i never hated someone as much as i hated him in that moment.

~~~

i've spend days at my house. i was suppose to go to school again but i couldn't handle all of that. my friends messaged me daily about what happened with Y/n and how people talk about her nonstop. everyone knew i was with her and everyone thinks i did this to her.

i tried sleeping in my bed but it was just... so empty. i couldn't sleep. i missed her and i didn't know if she was doing alright. i'm not someone who cries but these days were hard. i wasn't allowed to see her and today was the day of the big lie detector test.

linda promised me that she would do anything so jared would be fired and she also promised me that jared won't be with my while i take that test.

it was around 9am when i decided to stand up after i was awake the whole night and just stared at my wall. i walked to my closet without any motivation and chose some grey sweatpants and a black hoodie. Y/n sometimes wore this one when she slept at my house. it smelled a little bit like her.

when i walked downstairs i just remembered the time she was dancing in the kitchen. i remember the exact moment when i walked down the stairs and just saw her beautiful body spin around and saw her hair flying when she turned. she sung the wrong notes and the wrong lyrics but it made me so happy for no reason. if i think about it Y/n and i made some beautiful memories together.

i sat down on the kitchen counter and ate my cereal just like i always did. it was already half past nine so i started putting on some shoes and a random jacket i found on the couch. the house looked like a mess and my parents still didn't return and to be honest i was glad they weren't home right now. i wouldn't want to explain everything to them.

i checked my phone and all i saw was Y/n as my background photo. those were the ones we took in the photobooth and they just made me smile every time i saw them. the 'no older notifications' didn't bother me i just wished Y/n would have texted me.
at 10am i had to be at the police station so i started walking there. it wasn't far away from my house and i could easily get there in time.

~

at the police department the first person i saw when i walked in was linda who was waving at me. i waved back and tried giving her a little smile. "hey zayn. you're a little early so please sit down a few minutes and i'll get you as soon as possible!" she smiled at me and i nodded "but please promise me that jaden isn't there!" i quickly spoke to her and she nodded.

i walked to one of the many empty chairs in the lobby and waited and waited and waited. a few minutes passed and surprisingly almost no one came and had to wait with me. there just was one old lady who claimed she got robbed because she couldn't find her glasses anymore while they were in her hand the whole time. old people...

when linda called me i walked nervously behind her into a familiar room. it was the same room i was in the last time i was here, at least i think it was. it looked the exact same except for a computer and many wires and cables that were standing on the edge of the table. "don't touch anything of it. i trust you with it alright?" linda said when i sat down on the side with only one chair. i nodded and my leg bounced up and down again. "also don't worry! i believe you and alex does too. we have it on tape so don't worry about it too much" she said and put her hand on my leg. i looked her in the eyes and just nodded again. this was nerve wracking.

only one or two minutes passed when two officers and one other man came into the room. i shook their hands and then we sat back down. the man with the white shirt put something around my arm that was connected with the laptop. the man also put something around my chest and something around my fingers. he didn't say anything the whole time and neither did i or anyone else in this room.

all the cables and wires he put around me were connected to the laptop and as soon as he was done he spoke in a pretty soft tone to me "this won't hurt and it's not bad. just relax and answer the questions and that's it. here i can see your heart rate and i will be able to read if you're lying or telling the truth" i nodded because i couldn't say a word.