Chapter 6: X-Factor Audition, Harry

Harry Styles waited nervously at the side of the stage. He hadn't seen Louis again and he guessed he had already auditioned but Harry thought Louis would text him afterwards, maybe not. Harry could feel sweat on the back of his neck at the intercom called his name, "Harry Styles please come on stage." Harry looked back at his family and smiled before walking on stage.

"How are you?" Simon Cowell asked. It felt so surreal that he was actually on stage, right now, singing in front of some of the most famous people in the world.

"Hello." Harry replied awkwardly.

"What's your name?" Simon asked even though he already knew. It was just courtesy of the show.

He brought the mic closer to himself, "Harry Styles." People in the crowd cheered which made Harry nervous.

"Ok, Ok, Harry, how old are you?" Simon said, looking down at his papers.

"16."

"16, ok, So tell me a little about you?" Simon asked with no smile. Harry knew it would be hard to perform in front of him because he loved pleasing people so much and Simon was rarely ever pleased.

Harry searched his mind for something interesting, "Um, I work in a bakery."

"An- Harry, so you left school gone to work there, yeah?" Simon asked. Harry was surprised at how casual the conversation was because he had expected something so different.

"I work on Saturday's, but I finished my GCSEs just now. So, I am going back to college in September."

"And what are you planning on studying in college?" Wondered Simon out loud.

"Uh, law, sociology," the crowd cheered, which made Harry smirk, " business, and another thing but I'm not sure yet."

"Wow. What are you doing here, today?"

"Um," Harry moved his feet around making him sway just a bit, " Um. well, I've always wanted to audition but I've been too young."

"Ok. What are you gonna sing?" Finally they were on the topic of why he was actually here. Harry just really wanted to get off stage and get it over with.

"I am going to do 'Isn't She Lovely' by Stevie Wonder."

"Ok. Good luck."

Harry nervously took a deep breath, "Isn't she lovely? Isn't she wonderful? Isn't she precious?" Harry focused on the judges faces looking for some sort of satisfaction in their eyes, "Less than one minute old. I never thought through love we'd be making one as lovely as she. But isn't she lovely, made from love?" Above everyone else's he heard his mother's faint cheer from the side of the stage which made his nerves settle.

"Ok, Katy, what do you think. " Simon said, returning his eyes back to his paper.

She smiled at him, "I am really glad that you got the opportunity to hear you acapella so we could really hear how great your voice is."

"Thank you" Harry mumbled.

"For 16 years old you have a beautiful voice." The crowd showed their agreement in cheers.

"Thank you." Harry repeated.

Louis shook his head, "I agree with Katy, however, I think you're still young and you don't have enough experience or confidence yet."

"Ok." Harry frowned while nodding his head. He was right all along, he just wasn't good enough.

"Um, yeah, someone in the audience just said 'rubbish' and I totally agree with them." Simon took a deep sigh and continued to look at his sheet. Harry looked over at his family that was cheering for him and smiled charmingly, " 'Cause you know the whole show isn't designed to find someone who is 15,16,17 it doesn't matter. I think that with vocal coaching you could actually be very good."

"Thank you." Harry meant it with his whole heart. His dream was to please Simon when he performed and he was doing it. Maybe Harry wasn't as bad as he thought he was.

"I agree with Simon really," Cheryl smiled brightly at Harry, "I think that you have a very beautiful voice and I think if you work hard you will go somewhere."

"Ok, Louis."

"H-Harry for all the right reasons, I am going to say no." The entire crowd booed.

"I actually don't think they booed you loud enough there." Simon commented and the whole crowd got louder making Louis nervously laugh.

"Boo." Harry spoke into the microphone.

"Katy?"

"I like you Harry, I'm going to say yes." Harry's heart skipped a beat with excitement but he kept it contained.

"Thank you."

Simon and Cheryl were the yeses he needed. "And you will be happy to hear that I am going to be agreeing with Katy and give you another yes. Cheryl, what about you?"

"I will be saying..." Harry waited nervously, "Yes! You're in." Harry cheered along with the rest of the crowd. He said thank you one last time before walking off stage to hug his family. He had done it, he was going to the next round!

After everyone had hugged him, Harry decided to send off a text to Louis:

H: Hey, I am not sure where you are but I just finished and I am through to the next round! Maybe we can meet up after the day of auditions is over?
L: Congrats, Harry. I knew you would do great! I can't tonight but we will soon! Wish me luck.

Harry looked down sadly at his phone. "What's the matter Harry?" Gemma asked him.

"Oh, nothing. Everything's good!" Harry continued smiling again. Gemma hugged her brother before walking away.

Harry sent one last text while his family was occupied with something else:

H: Luck 🐇

Author's note: Yes, I did add bunnies in here in some way because of the bunnies in rainbows on HSLOT merch. I'm pathetic, I know. It's fine because I had fun writing this.

Questions or concerns can be commented here.

As always, don't forget to vote, comment, and follow if you would like! (this feels like a youtube outro. I need to change it.)