₁₂. Rᴇɢʀᴇᴛ Aɴᴅ Gᴜɪʟᴛ

"I think it's time you leave, Steve. I don't know when I'll see you again so take care of yourself."

And it was indeed time. Steve ran into Peter hurrying to find Emerson, his eyes red as if he had been crying. Bucky followed close behind and Steve stopped him by the arm.

"What the hell did you do?" asked Steve

"I told Peter the truth. He deserved to know." Bucky replied innocently

" I don't know what secret you revealed but you know just as well as I do that Emerson was going to tell him."

"She killed them, Steve. He had to know sooner rather than later."

"And you've killed hundreds of them too. But it wasn't your choice."

"She never would have had the guts to say it."

"Look, I know you have a bad feeling about her, but here you've gone too far." Steve finished releasing Bucky and walking down the hallway to his room.

Meanwhile, Peter had joined Emerson outside. He slammed the door open and walked straight to his supposed sister. She was ready, he, was only thinking about the present and the pain he felt inside, not the consequences of his actions.

"Listen Peter-" she started before being cut by Peter

"No, you don't get to talk here! You killed our parents! You killed my parents! Do you know how long I blamed myself for their deaths because I didn't get there in time?! Do you know how many times I begged whatever god it was to take me to them?! I can't believe you didn't tell me and I can't believe you lied to me!" he shouted

"Because you think I didn't feel the same way when I found out I killed them?? You think I don't blame myself for their deaths every nights, that I don't have nightmares about it!? Except that unlike you, Peter, I really have their death on my shoulders! So, you think I don't know how you feel?" she snapped

She would have preferred not to answer but she couldn't help herself, she needed to let it go too.

"No, you don't know how it feels! You killed my parents, you have no family!"

Peter stopped dead in his tracks as the words came out of his mouth, he regretted it. He knew very well that the death of his parents was not Emerson's fault and that she had just been the weapon used by Hydra. And yet he couldn't have helped himself.

"I'm sorry Peter, I really am. But to be honest, I knew that you would react that way I just hoped you would have understand and controlled this whole situation better." Emerson replied, sobbing

She turned and walked to her car, Peter didn't dare hold her back. And as Emerson drove away, Peter and Bucky watched her go, both full of regret and guilt.

She drove more than enough to get to her hotel, she didn't stop. And she didn't want to stop, she could have taken a road trip if she had the courage but she was exhausted. The tears hadn't stopped since she left Peter, and she kept repeating in her head the words he had said to her: "You have no family". Of course, she'd been willing to put up with all the mean things Peter might have to say after learning his parents' murder. But she hadn't been prepared to hear the hard truth from her brother's mouth. She knew he said it out of anger, but still, it pained her more than ever.

After stopping for a few hours at the top of a hill, she went back to her hotel room where she took a shower and without eating, went straight to bed. At the moment her head hit the pillow, she was far away into a dreamless sleep.

When she woke up, her eyes were red and swollen because she had been crying most of the night. But she had decided what she would do next. She got out of bed, put on a pair of baggy blue jeans, a sweater over a white shirt, and put on her black Doc Martens, then went to pack her bags, retrieve the hidden book, and go to the front desk of the hotel to return her key.