₂₁. Nᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ Tᴏ Lᴏsᴇ

It was the 10th of December and it had been over a month since Emerson had been asleep, with no news on her health. 

From time to time, and when looking at the camera that monitored her, Bruce could see Bucky coming in late at night and talking to her, standing at the end of her bed, not daring to touch her. Bruce had decided not to listen and not to talk about it, he knew Bucky needed that time, whatever it was for. 

Bucky? He was mostly talking to her to see if any memories were coming back. That day, Steve was at her bed, rubbing her arm while talking to her.

"Mer, you have to come back now, it's already been 40 days, Christmas is coming soon and you still owe me a FRAT," he wiped away a tear and whispered "please come back. I miss you... We all miss you."

After half an hour, Steve wiped away the last tear, placed a kiss on her cheek and left. Shortly after, Peter came in and took the exact same seat as Steve, this time holding her hand tightly. He remained in silence for a few minutes before talking about his day. At the end, he put his hand on her cheeks, caressing her.

"I miss you so much, Mer. I never thought it would hurt this much," he sobbed "but I need you, I need to apologize to you. Officially and not with you on the verge of death."

He stayed like that, one hand in hers, and the other on her cheek, for about 20 minutes before he got up to kiss her forehead.

"I love you, big sister," he whispered "please come back to me..."

As he was about to close the door and join the others who were in the living room, he felt something with his spidey sense. He opened the door again, the world around him blurring, and stared at Emerson. He looked around warily before looking at Emerson again. As he did, she opened her eyes wide, sat up and held her chest, unable to breathe. Hearing her, Nat rushed over and seeing what was going on, she ordered Peter to get out and look for Bruce. He was in shock and was not moving until Nat slapped him back to his senses.

"Go get Bruce!!!" shouted Nat

With that, he ran out of the room to where they all were. He burst into the room and without speaking pointed at Bruce and behind him. Bruce got up and started running after Peter, the others stayed behind on the doctor's orders. When the men arrived in the room, Emerson was convulsing on her bed, her head held in position by Nat's hands. Peter froze again instantly in the doorway, looking in horror at his sister. 

Bruce was rummaging through his various bottles, looking for the right product, when he noticed Peter, he gently pushed him out before closing the door. He found the right sedative, put it in a needle, and with Natasha's help, stuck the needle into the girl's neck. And with that, Emerson slowly began to calm down and went back to sleep under Bruce's watchful eye. 

Meanwhile, Tony and Wanda arrived at the door and saw Peter sitting with his head between his knees and his back against the wall next to the closed door. They knelt down next to him and held him, stroking his back and his head, waiting for Bruce to come out with a verdict. When the door opened, Nat was the only one to come out.

"Bruce is running some tests on her right now," she explained "she's stabilized but needs rest."

"I'll come get you when she wakes up again." Bruce added, only his head visible

Without a word added, the four headed to the living room, where the rest of the Avengers had been left, worried. As soon as they walked through the door, they were harassed with questions.

"Quiet!" yelled Tony "if you want any answers, shut the hell up!"

No one dared speak, but after a few seconds of tense silence, Loki stepped out of the group and walked forward.