₁₆. Sʜᴇ Wᴏᴜʟᴅ Hᴀᴠᴇ Bᴇᴇɴ Rɪɢʜᴛ

When Cassie didn't respond, Emerson hugged her tightly and walked down the stairs, heading for the door.

"You're leaving without saying goodbye?"

"I didn't think you would want to see me to be honest." Emerson answered, looking at the tall woman next to her

"It's not because Scott is like this that I am."

"Yea, I'm sorry Hope. It's just," she began, trying to hold back tears "I wasn't sure if I could see anyone else without thinking about...him."

"I'll talk to him. I already did but I'll talk to him again, Emerson, I promise you!"

"Come on Hope, we're pass the full name, don't you think?" she shook her head, smiling "but thanks for the gesture. However, I do think it's better if you don't talk about me for a while. But I do want you to take a special care of Cassie, please?"

"Of course, mer..." she replied as she took her in her arm "you may not believe me but I'm going to miss you." she whispered before backing away and leaving the entrance before Emerson could respond with anything

Emerson took a big breath and open the door, heading to her car. She had hoped that Scott was going to try to talk to her but guess that every dream can't be fulfilled if it's under others power.

MEANWHILE IN THE AVENGERS COMPOUND (back in time a little)

"I really am sorry Peter." Emerson replied, sobbing

She turned and walked to her car, Peter didn't dare hold her back. And as Emerson drove away, Peter and Bucky watched her go, both full of regret and guilt. Long after Emerson had left, Peter was still outside. His tears were gone but his heart was still broken. He didn't know how such atrocities could come out of his mouth, but they did, and he wasn't sure he'd see his sister again soon. As for Bucky, after watching the sky darken by minutes for a few hours, he decided to go for a walk. He was quite proud of what he'd done, he'd sworn to give Emerson hell but he couldn't forget the look of betrayal and hurt she'd given him before leaving Peter's room. And he had suddenly felt bad for ruining Peter's family, but Bucky was a stubborn guy so he didn't walk away from his "trophy".

It started raining as soon as he reached the forest, he stopped under a tree, thinking. He had just ruined his friend's life. Peter didn't deserve that. Emerson? Yes. She had provoked him to find the truth and he had shut her up. But Peter? No. He needed to apologize. And as soon as that thought occurred to Bucky, he started walking back toward the compound. 

He, first, looked for Peter in his room, then in the kitchen, the living room and the gym, but he was nowhere to be found and every Avenger he met was giving him a dirty look. Guess everyone knew.

Eventually, he asked Jarvis where he was and the answer didn't surprise him as he thought about it afterward. He walked toward the room where Emerson had been sleeping and open the door without knocking. After seeing who it was, Peter fell backwards, his head buried in the different pillows of his big sister.

"I don't want to see you Bucky."

"I know, but I wanted to apologize. I really feel like an asshole."

"You are. But no amount of 'sorry' is going to erase what I said and give me my sister back."

"I know," Bucky replied as he considered what to say next, "I'll leave you alone... sorry again."

As he left, Peter's tears started rolling down his cheeks again. He was exhausted and just wanted to go home, but right now he knew he couldn't move without falling over, so he got under the blanket and closed his eyes.