₂₀. Wᴇ Wᴀɪᴛ

"I'm sorry, we couldn't do more."

A loud cry came from Peter's mouth as he fell to his knees, crying all the tears he had left. Tony burst into the room and rushed over to him, kneeling in front of him and hugging him tightly. Even Tony couldn't stop the tears from flowing, he was devastated. Soon after, Nat and Wanda entered the room, their eyes red and swollen. They had wanted to give Peter time before entering and immediately after walking through the door, they took him in their arms and hugged him even tighter than Tony had done a few minutes before. Slowly, all the Avengers filled the room to hug Peter, and sometimes Tony. During all this time, not a word was spoken, except for a few "sorry" or "it's going to be okay." addressed to the last Parker standing. 

At midnight, Peter was the last one with Emerson, holding her hand, stroking it and whispering God knows how many apologies. Around 1 a.m., a nurse came in and saw Peter asleep, his head on the girl's hand, she took pity on him and left before returning with a blanket which she put over him, tucking him in. She looked sadly at the girl before turning off the light and leaving. 

Peter was awakened by the natural light coming from the window, it was almost 9am. He looked up and seeing Emerson, a lonely tear rolled down his cheek. He wipes it off and got up, walking over to the window to open it. He stayed for a while to get some fresh air before the same nurse entered the room. Peter glanced at her before turning back to the window. He stayed that way until the nurse left and another person walked in. He didn't even bother to turn around, but let out a heavy sigh when he felt arms slip around his waist. He turned and rested his forehead on Mj's.

"I don't know what I'm going to do now, Mj..." he whispered

"Wait," she replied "be patient with her, she'll wake up."

"I can't help but be mad at myself!" he said through clenched teeth

"Hey, look at me," Mj replied taking his head in her hands and forcing him to look up at her "it's not your fault. I didn't know her long, but I know she would do anything for you. And she wouldn't want you to blame yourself for that...you know it."

"I know," he sighed "I'm sorry."

"Don't be, love," she pecked his lips "it's okay."

Peter brought his hands to Mj's face, looking her straight in the eyes before leaning in and kissing her.

"I love you Mj." he whispered, his lips just millimeters from hers

She looked up at him, surprised by his words. She hadn't expected him to say it for the first time here and now. But she kissed him again, her smile growing on his lips before they parted again, their foreheads against each other.

"I love you too, Peter Parker," she smiled "let's take a walk?"

He looked at Emerson before looking back at Mj with a small smile "Sure, let's go darling." he replied taking her hand.

When Peter returned, three hours later, he was surprised to see Bucky standing at the end of Emerson's bed, looking at her intensely.

"What are you doing here, Buck?" Peter asked, obviously annoyed

"I came to apologize to you," he replied, facing him " I shouldn't have done what I did months ago."

"When? When you told me a secret, she was going to reveal to me or when you asked me a question knowing full well, I was going to hurt her?"

"I guess both," he replied "I have to tell you, I don't know why I did that..."

"Because you're an asshole? Because you're so blinded by your own problems, that you try to escape them by hurting the people around you? Because you can't handle the fact that there might be people who just want what's best for you?" he half shouted