₂₆. Mᴇʀʀʏ Cʜʀɪsᴛᴍᴀs

Emerson woke up three hours later, gasping for air, tears streaming down her cheeks and shaking. It was the first time she'd had a nightmare about something not so horrible, and yet it was more painful than a normal nightmare. She shook her head to try to push away the memories and got out of bed. She went to her kitchen to make herself a coffee and took her cup to the balcony. The cold December air didn't bother her, as she was used to the cold, and with her hair blowing in the wind, she allowed herself to close her eyes and dream of moments she believed could never happen.

It was December 23, and Barnes was due home the next day. She went inside and down to her gym to hit her punching bag and get rid of all the emotions she had bottled up inside her. She used the program she had created for over two hours and after about four more hours of exercise, went to take a shower.

After eating her breakfast, she sat down at her piano and played. She played until the inspiration for Barnes' gift came to her, basically she played for about 3 hours. She stopped dead in her tracks when the idea came to her and quickly went to her laptop to find the gift. She had a hard time finding exactly what she had in mind but after an hour she found it and made some call to buy it. The rest of the day was very ordinary: she went back to the compound and worked out the details of the next day's party with Emily and the Avengers. She went to bed after picking up the gift she had bought in the morning.

【★】

Emerson woke up early as always and went for a run despite the cold Christmas winter. She ran for 2 hours before heading back to the compound and working out on her own. Around 9am, she decided to go into the kitchen and make breakfast for the others.

"Merry Christmas, mer!" sang Sam, walking into the kitchen and going for a hug

"Merry Christmas, Sammy." she replied, smiling and hugging him

"What are you cooking?"

"Umm, I've made pancakes and waffles, I also made hot chocolates. And I was going to start cooking bacon and eggs."

"Yummy, thanks." he replied before sitting down at the same time Nat and Wanda arrived

"Merry Christmas, sweeties." Emerson said

"Merry Christmas, sweetheart." they replied at the same time

They went and kissed her cheeks and sat down. One by one, all the Avengers sat in the kitchen, talking and enjoying Emerson's cooking. After a moment, Nat asked, "Does anyone know when Bucky is coming back?" Emerson stood up straight upon hearing the question, acting like she didn't care but listening anyway.

"He told me he'll be back by lunch. At worst around four o'clock," Sam replied, his mouth full "why?"

"Out of curiosity." Nat replied, glancing at Emerson

"Who prepares lunch?" she asked, changing the subject

"Well, you made breakfast, so I guess it's only fair to let someone else do it," Tony replied "anyone volunteer?"

"Right..." said Emerson, after a complete silence "well, I can do it. No problem."

"Perfect."

"Great."

"Good idea."

"Yes!"

Emerson looked around the table and laughed at everyone's reactions, soon joined by them.

"But understand us," Peter argued "you cook really well." he said, emphasizing the "really"

"I know," she said, tossing her hair back over her shoulder "by the way, I invited my best friend Emily over for tonight. You don't really have a say in the decision but I just wanted to let you guys know."