Chapter 8

"I'm scared, Day," Tessa whispered as she lay her head on his shoulder

"I'm scared, Day," Tessa whispered as she lay her head on his shoulder. "What if something happens to Lena? I can't, I can't lose her."

"Nothing will happen to Elena, Tessie," Damon said as he stroked her hair. "I promise."

That was all she heard as she fell asleep in the arms of her best friend.

"Tonight is the full moon," Elijah said. "We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse."

"Elena said that the sun and the moon curse is fake. That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus," Stefan said.

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline," Elijah answered. "The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it, he'll be a true hybrid."

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon asked as he walked into the room. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Bonnie can't use this much power without dying, Day," Tessa answered.

"I'll write her a great eulogy."

"Damon," Tessa said glaring at the blue-eyed vampire.

"Not an option Damon," Elena said, although she was glad he was willing to let the witch die to protect her. 

"Alright, how do we break the curse?" Stefan asked. 

Elijah explained that Klaus would need to sacrifice a vampire, a werewolf, and then drink the blood of the doppelganger.  Elena would come back to life as she would drink the elixir Elijah had made for Katherine before she ran away.

"That's your plan," Damon said making Tessa roll her eyes. She knew Damon would not agree. "A magical witch potion with no expiration date? You wanna come back to life, what about John's ring?"

"She's a doppelganger Day, it won't work on her," Tessa answered.

"What about me?" Tessa piped in making them all look at her in confusion. "I've been reading the book about Shadowhunters, what if I glamour myself into Elena and let Klaus sacrifice me?" She asked Elijah, knowing he was the only one who knew about her newly discovered supernatural identity.

"As far as I know, glamour can only put up a false skin, not change one's blood. But even if it were to work, how do you plan to acquire a fellow Shadowhunter for the rune?"

Tessa sighed in defeat and plopped herself on the couch. 

"Wait, what were you even talking about?" Damon asked.

"Long story Day, I'll tell you three later. So we're stuck with the 500-year-old elixir plan?"

"Wait, What if it doesn't work Elena?" Damon asked her. He was scared of what would happen to Tessa if she died.

Tessa was a mess when Vicki had died, and she wasn't even that close to her. It broke Damon's heart when he saw her like that, and that was when he began to feel. He was consumed by guilt for being the reason for the brunette's uncontrollable grief.

"Then I guess I'll just be dead," Elena answered.

"It's okay if you can't do it," Tessa said softly as she stood beside Elijah who was putting the elixir in the box after hearing Damon feed Elena his blood. "If you can't kill Klaus."

"What makes you think I can't do it?" 

"He's your brother. No matter what he did for you to want to do this. When the time comes, you won't be able to. And it's okay. It's okay if you choose him. Family is important, Lijah. No matter how messed up."

She gave him a gentle smile before going upstairs to check up on Damon. 

"I screwed up," Damon said as Alaric and Tessa sat on either side of him at the Mystic Grill.

"Yup," Tessa said at the same time as Alaric, "Yeah. Yeah, you did."

"Gentlemen, Lady," came a British voice making the three turn around to come in contact with a man. He had dirty blonde curly hair and blue eyes. "Why so glum?"

"Klaus I presume," Damon sighed.

"In the flesh," the man answered. "Thanks for the loaner mate," he said to Alaric.

"Any reason you stopped by to say hi," Damon said as he stood protectively in from of Tessa making her roll her eyes. 

"I'm told you and your brother fancy my doppelganger. Just thought I'd remind you not to try anything you'll regret," he then smiled at Tessa, "Also, I wanted to see my lovely Tessa again."

"Thanks for the advice," Damon said as he pulled Tessa behind him to hide her from the original hybrid. "I don't suppose I could talk you into a postponement by any chance, huh?"

"You are kidding. He is kidding right?"

"Nope, he's an idiot," Tessa responded.

"I mean come on, what's one month in the grand scheme of things?"

"Let me be clear," Klaus said. "I have my vampire, I have my werewolf. I have everything I need. The ritual will happen tonight. So if you want to live to see tomorrow, don't screw it up." He walked away after giving the raven-haired vampire a glare.

"That was fun," Damon commented as he sat back in his place.

"You're gonna screw it up, aren't you?" Alaric asked. 

"You think if I took the werewolf out of the equation, she might get over the fact I tried to turn her into a vampire?"

"It won't matter, because you'll be dead," Tessa said. 

 "But without the werewolf, he can't perform the ritual tonight which means I would have bought her one month till the next full moon."

"You'll still be dead," Alaric said. 

"You gonna help me or what?"

"What do you want me to do?" Alaric answered as Tessa nodded.