Chapter 30

Tessa's hands trembled and sweat was glistening on her forehead. She has had to do many things she would never have chosen, but this by far was undoubtedly the hardest.

She was sitting in the living room, with Elijah, Klaus and Stefan, waiting for Damon and Aaron. The three of the vampires' heart was beating at the speed of light, terrified of what she wanted to tell them. And what scared them the most was how fast her heart was beating. 

Tessa had hoped they would take another couple of hours to join the room, but her heartbeats quickened when she heard their voices enter the room.

"Hey Ris," Aaron smiled at her, but her smile was weak making him frown. "What's wrong?" He mumbled, leaning in to kiss her, but she pushed him away. 

"I-." Her throat choked up. "I'm sorry."

"What are you apologizing for elskan?" Elijah joined Aaron and got down on his knees, his hands reaching out for her. 

"I can't-." Tessa stuttered, pulling her hand quickly from his. Hurt flashed in his eyes - for a moment - before he hid it. 

"I can't do this anymore?"

"Do what?" Damon asked slowly. It couldn't be what he thought it would be. It couldn't. He couldn't lose her. He couldn't even bear the thought of losing her. The one girl that never hurt him. The one girl that had never abandoned him. She couldn't break up with him. No-. He wouldn't let it happen. 

"Us. This. I can't be with you guys." Tessa shut her eyes, getting rid of the tears. She clenched her teeth and raised her head high. She needed to do this. Not only because they didn't actually care, but because Elena did. Elena loved Stefan and Damon. And she wasn't going to come in the way of that. Elena deserved all the happiness in the world - and if it took Tessa to give up hers, she was fine with it. She had to do this. For Elena. 

"W-what?" Klaus stumbled. 

"I'm sorry. I-."

"But why?"

Just tell them you don't love them. Or even like them. Be brutal Tes, or else they will keep using you. Elena had said when she asked how she should break up with them.

"We love you, darling," Aaron's hands were shaking. 

"But I don't." And their hearts stopped. "I don't love you. I don't even like you. So please, leave me the hell alone."

She got up, swatting Aaron's hand away when he tried to stop her. "Please."

She started walking away, but then stopped in her tracks. She wanted to know. She needed to know. So she turned around. 

"Did you kiss her, Aaron?"

"Who?"

"Elena."

And Aaron's eyes widened, realization seeped in. Elena. Of course. "What no!" He said firmly, his eyes wide with disbelief. "I would never cheat on you, Tes."

And she wanted to believe him. She really did. But Elena's words kept haunting her. It was never going to be her. They all wanted Elena. It could never be her. They could never love her. 

"Do-."

"You don't believe me." He stopped her. The look in her eyes was one he had seen before. She didn't believe him. "You don't believe me." He repeat. His hands gripped the coffee table, his knuckles were white and tears had started building up in his eyes. 

"What did Elena say to you?" Damon asked, his jaw was stiff. 

"Nothing," Tessa shook her head. "Nothing that wasn't true."

And then she walked away. She walked away leaving them with shattered hearts. Shattered hearts similar to hers - broken - but maybe not beyond repair.