All Because Of One Stupid Misunderstanding

(Sterling's POV)

"It's a shame I can't tag along with you." Elise, my girlfriend sighs as she watches me finish tying my tie around my neck.

"Father's rules. Not mine." I responded. Truthfully though I was okay with her not coming to the office. She just would be a distraction and I didn't need that on my first day.

Elise was a very attractive woman with her chestnut brown eyes and dark red hair that went down to her shoulders. It was her attitude sometimes though that could be a little much. She had clearly been spoiled when she was a child as she felt she should get whatever she wanted. When she didn't she would throw a tantrum, just like a child.

We started dating about a year ago. At first she was an absolute sweetheart. She was also the first girl I had taken interest in since Isabelle had left. As we got more comfortable that's when her true personality began to show. Normally I would've ended things but I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt, she did still have her sweet moments here and there. She was also the only one who could fill the void I felt within myself from missing Isabelle.

"Your mom goes all the time." She rolled her eyes.

"She's also his wife and has a floor for her business Elise." I tried to not let my annoyance show in my tone.

Over the last fifteen years my father had been preparing me to work at the company, he just made sure I still had my freedom. His Vice President Remington Sims had taken on a president position at another company and I had just graduated from college. It was perfect timing for me to step in and take the seat. This was to help prepare and give me a chance to learn how to run the company. That way when my father decided to retire I would be the next in line to take it over.

My mother had reached great success over these years as well. Her fashion line was one of the hottest out there and she had stores now all over the world. How she managed all that and still made time for the family I will never know. She was always here for Scarlett and I when we needed anything.

Elise let out a sigh. "Fine. I need to get going anyway. I'll see you later?"

"Yes." I gave her a peck on the lips. "As long as everything goes well today we'll have dinner or something."

"Okay." She gave me a pleased smile. She then pressed her lips onto my cheek for a kiss before hurrying out of my apartment.

I grabbed what I needed and locked up before leaving. I went downstairs and got into the green Lamborghini Huracan I had for a few years now. My father had gifted it to me for my birthday years ago. I started it up and headed for Tipton Enterprises.

I was slightly dreading having my father for a boss. He could be an intense man sometimes. I could only imagine how much worse it was in the business world. I also knew we were bound to butt heads. We were both stubborn and didn't like taking no for an answer.

I pulled into the parking garage after the fifteen minute drive and got out of the car. I locked it and headed inside of the building. I could feel the staff's eyes on me as I headed for the elevator. They all knew who I was. It was obvious, I was the spitting image of my father after all. It was like someone had hit copy and paste.

I pressed the button for the thirty-second floor once I was inside. The doors closed and the elevator began to ascend to the top. This building was huge, one of the biggest here in Nashville. It had thirty-floors but the ceilings were so high that it stood more around sixty-four stories. The elevator dinged and I stepped out.

I headed right for my father's office. "Hello Stacey." I greeted his assistant as she sat at her desk.

"Hello. He's inside waiting for you." She smiled pleasantly.

I gave her a charming smile in return. "Thank you."

I walked into the office and noticed my father standing at the window. He turned around to face me as he heard me approach. His icy blue eyes were as intense as they had always been. His jet black hair now had a little grey here and there, it was mixed into the stubble on his face as well. Don't think age had made him soft though, Damon Tipton still remained a ruthless business tyrant.

"Welcome son." He greeted me as he took a seat at his desk.

I took a seat across from him. "So what's our first order of business?"

He looked down at his watch and then back up to me. "The first order of business is to get you acquainted with your assistant, she should be here any time now."

"I still don't know why you didn't let me pick one myself." I responded. We may have some similarities but how could I be so sure he would pick someone I would work well with. At the same time though I couldn't have someone I worked too well with, Elise would freak out.

"It doesn't matter." He spoke nonchalantly. "The woman I picked is very qualified and the reviews about her have been nothing but positive. I wouldn't have picked her if I didn't think she would be a good fit."

"If you say so." I knew I should trust his judgement. He had only been out to do what was best for me, if he felt he found the perfect fit then I should be open to giving her a try.

We didn't have much time to talk before the office doors opened again. My father's attention went to the two people who had entered the room. I turned to see that it was Stacey and a young woman. I recognized her instantly.

Those grey eyes, that long chocolate brown hair and those cheekbones. It was Isabelle. My heart practically ached as my eyes looked her over before locking onto her grey orbs. It had been years since I had seen her. All because of one stupid misunderstanding.

My father proceeded to then introduce her and let it be known he had hired her as my assistant. I could tell in her eyes she had been taken by surprise just like I had been. My father was up to something. I could see it on his face that this was no coincidence, he had done this on purpose.

"Mr. Tipton, I'm not sure if this is a good idea." Isabelle finally spoke after breaking our eye contact.

"Isabelle, the agreement has been signed." My father responded. "Why don't you take a seat and we can talk about this more in depth?"

I let out an inward sigh to myself. Here we go.