I Think We're Moving In The Right Direction

Isabelle

"Thank you for agreeing to join me tonight." Sterling spoke from the otherside of the dining room table.

"Well, after such a good day I would have hated to let you down now." I placed the now empty wine glass on the table.

The meeting Sterling and Killian had today went over flawlessly. It was about a pretty important contract with a client that they needed to launch the next big project for Tipton Enterprises. While this client in particular is known to be hard to persuade, Sterling and Killian pulled the job off as if it were no big deal.

Sterling glanced at the watch on his wrist and then looked back up at me. "Are you pressed for time tonight?"

"No." I shook my head, knowing damn well Killian's out celebrating right now which means that I'll have an easy morning tomorrow.

"Good." A pleased grin worked it's way onto his lips. "Why don't we move onto the couch? It'll be a little more comfortable."

"Okay." I nodded.

Dinner had gone really well, Sterling and I talked back and forth. I can feel that I'm beginning to get a little more comfortable around him again. My guard is still up but moments like these give me a glimpse of what our life was like before all the drama went down and I miss it more than I thought I would.

We both got up from the dining room table and headed into the living room. Sterling led the way and took a seat on the couch. I sat down next to him, making sure to keep a little bit of distance between the two of us.

"How's your family doing?" I asked to make some conversation between the two of us.

"They're all great." He answered. "My father and my mother are getting excited for Samuel, so are Scarlett and I. Scarlett's doing great in dance and my grandfather's just living life."

"Good." I studied him for a moment, then I proceeded to ask my next question. "And how are you doing?"

Every time we're alone Sterling has made it a point to focus more on me and what I'm doing. He hardly talks about himself and I can only come up with two reasons as to why. FIrst, he's just trying to be attentive to me and put in the effort to win me over. Or two, he's avoiding talking about how he feels.

My guess is it would be the second.

"I'm fine." He looked down, breaking eye contact. "You're still here and I just helped land a contract for the company, I can't complain."

"Sterling." I wasn't going to let him just play this off. "Every time you look at me I can't help but see some turmoil in your eyes, you force it away but I want to know why. I need you to be open and honest, that's the only way this is going to work."

He exhaled a low breath as his icy blue orbs looked into my eyes. "Every time I've looked at you I can't help but think about how much farther we would be if I had let you in when I was supposed to. Then I have to bring myself back to reality, I have put in the work to get us to the moments I can only dream of right now."

"Moments like what?" My brow arched as a curious expression took over my face. "Enlighten me."

He was silent for a moment, as if he was contemplating his next move. His icy blue orbs continued looking into my eyes as he began to lean in, letting me catch a glimpse of his desire within them. I know where this is going to lead but instead of pushing him back I want to see where this goes.

"Like this." He spoke right before crashing his lips down on mine.

His hands gripped my waist as my arms wrapped around his neck, pulling each other in closer. I could feel the hunger and desire in his kiss, the emotions he's been trying so hard to hold back on.

He lifted me up and brought me onto his lap as our lips continued moving together. I opened my mouth slightly, allowing his tongue inside to dance with mine. I could feel a mix of desire and excitement shoot throughout my body.

I shouldn't be giving into him this easily, but for some reason there's just something so damn intoxicating about this man. He knows all the right spots to touch me, it's as if I were made just for him.

He held me firmly in place as his tongue dominated mine. It doesn't matter how much of a fight mine puts up, he has no problem letting me know that he's the one in charge here.

His hands moved from my waist down to my ass, giving it a firm squeeze. I can't help the small moan I let out into his mouth. I can feel myself getting carried away but I don't care right now. I'm ready to throw all of my rules out at this moment.

I want more. I need more.

He pulled away, breaking the kiss and loosening his grip on me. His eyes looked me up and down for a moment. As they met my gray orbs I could see the pleasure and desire was done as a concerned expression took over his face.

"Izzy, I'm so sorry." He apologized as he brought one of his hands up to brush away the hair that had fallen in front of my face. "I don't know what got into me right there. I just got carried away, I should have done a better job at holding back."

"It's okay." I assured him.

"No." He shook his head. "It's not okay. I need to maintain my self control, but it's just so fucking hard sometimes."

I leaned my forehead against his, continuing to keep eye contact. "Sterling, I promise it's okay."

The fact he stopped out of respect for me means more to me than he realizes. It shows me that he has had some growth. Before he wouldn't have stopped, he would have taken advantage of the fact I was caught up in the moment and he would have taken it further, just like the times in his office before we got together.

"I think it's okay to back off of some of the restrictions." I could tell his face softened as the words left my lips. "You've been patient and I appreciate it, I think we're moving in the right direction."

"You do?" He asked.

"Yes." I nodded as a small smile made its way onto my lips. "I think so. However, before this goes too far tonight, I should probably get home."

"Okay." He responded right before placing a soft peck onto my lips.