He Was Trying To Hide

Sterling

"Mr. Tipton." Eve spoke to get my attention. "Your father is ready to see you now."

Getting up from my desk, I took a deep breath and let it go as I began to brace myself. "Thank you Eve."

I led the way out of my office with her following behind me. We walked over to the elevator and stepped inside. It went down a floor and dinged, once the doors opened we stepped out and walked to the meeting room where my father is waiting for this meeting with Mr. King.

My father watched me as I took a seat next to him. "Are you ready for this?"

"Yes." I nodded confidently. "I just have a request to make."

He laced his fingers together as he leaned back slightly in his chair. "And what's this request?"

"I want you to do the talking." I informed him and then went into my reasoning. "He's under the impression that this is a meeting that you wanted to have to see how things have been going. If you do the talking he won't suspect anything and that gives me the ability to observe his words and behavior."

"Okay." He responded. "I can do that if that's what you need, you're the one who's in charge of this matter."

"Thank you."

"Of course." He let out a low breath. "Are you ready or do you need another moment before we get him on the line?"

"I'm ready." I assured him.

He nodded and looked in Stacey's direction. A few seconds later she began the video call and Mr. King appeared on the screen in the meeting room. He forced a gentle smile but his eyes were just as dark as they have been during each encounter we've had.

"Good morning." He greeted my father and me.

"Good morning." My father doesn't waste any time and gets into the bullshit reason we gave him for this call. "I just wanted to check in with you myself and see how things have been now that our contract has been filed."

"Things have been fine." Mr. King remained professional as he responded. "We've got everything set, we should be starting construction here within the next month."

"Good." My father's face is expressionless, like it always is for meetings like this. "Be sure to keep us updated when everything begins."

Mr. King nodded. "Of course Mr. Tipton."

So far, this has gone the way every business meeting goes. Mr. King hasn't given away nearly as many red flags as he did when we were face to face, but my father's here this time which does make a difference.

"We only spoke briefly after things were in place." My father began to shift Mr. King from business to personal conversation. "I hope when my son Sterling came in my place that you were treated with only respect."

"Yes, he was very professional and a pleasure to do business with." Mr. King's attention shifted over to me. "It was such a shame your girlfriend was feeling unwell the last day you were here, she was lovely and I hope she's feeling better."

There it is, the darkness that emanated from him the first time he spoke about Isabelle. I can't see into his mind but there's something about the look on his face that doesn't sit right with me. If anything it makes me that much more on guard, this fucker has to be up to something.

But, I have no evidence so it's not like I can call him out. I have to make him think whatever plan he's conjured up is safe in his mind.

"She's doing a lot better." My gut twisted as I forced myself to be polite.

"Wonderful." He grimaced. "When everything is finished with this building I'll have to have you come and approve things, then maybe the three of us can have dinner."

I clenched my fist at my side, forcing myself to be in control. "We'll have to see, it depends when things get finished up but if we can that would be great."

"Sounds good." Mr. King responded.

My father chimed in, taking back over the rest of this meeting. "I'm glad that everything has gone over so well. Mr King, do you have any questions for me before we end this call?"

"No." He shook his head. "I think I'm all good over here."

"Perfect, we'll be in touch." My father spoke right before he had Stacey cut the call.

I gulped as I shake off the chills that run down my spine from the bad vibes Mr. King had been giving off. "Do you see what I mean?"

"I do." My father focused on me. "Something isn't right there, it was obvious the moment he was brought on but I can tell he was trying to hide it at first... then Isabelle came up."

"See!" I exclaimed out of frustration. "There's something, obviously but I can't find anything that gives me even the slightest hint at what this man is capable of."

"You probably won't right away." His words made my stomach drop. "The confidence he has to bring her up tells me he's fully aware of what he's doing and he knows he needs to watch his back, especially since it's Tipton's he's up against. We aren't exactly known for being nice when someone crosses us."

I nodded as I took in a deep cleansing breath and let it out, trying to clear my thoughts so that I could think. "I understand."

"My gut tells me that it could get messier than expected." He confessed as a concerned expression washed over his face for just a moment before fading away. "Regardless of what happens, I want you to know that I'm here to help no matter what."

"I know."

He's always been here, but this is something I need to take care of on my own. I can't depend on my dad to save my ass on every little thing. I'm a fucking Tipton, I have to be able to do it on my own at some point because one day even he won't be here.

He leans back into his chair. "So, what's your next plan of action?"

"I need to up security." I informed him as I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and started to text my team. "I've been a little more lenient since the Tunt's have been disposed of but I can't do that. I need to have someone around her at all times."

"I would recommend you do the same for yourself." He suggested.

My brows furrowed together. "Why?"

"Take it from me." He let out a low sigh as he got up from his seat. "The one time I didn't have my guys with me, I ended up shot and almost lost my life. I get the feeling that Mr. King won't hesitate to take a similar route."

I gulped, because I know he's probably right.