The Last Chance

Isabelle

I opened the door of Noami's apartment. She's been kind enough to let me stay here since I left Sterling's. I could've gone back to the orphanage, but I really didn't want to go over everything with Mrs. Strahm.

She's a sweet lady and she's always been supportive. I love her, but I just felt more comfortable talking with Noami on this one.

"Hey." She greeted me from the couch in the living room.

"Hey." I huffed as I sat down next to her.

She looked at me for a moment, looking me over. "What's going on?"

"I talked to Mr. Tipton today." I responded. "He's decided to still carry out his end of the deal because Sterling's the one who's caused this all. So, he's going to take the next few days to get things figured out and I'll be leaving Tennessee in about a week or so."

I noticed a hint of sadness wash over her face, but she quickly fought it off. I couldn't help the pang of guilt that went through me. Leaving Tennessee also meant I'd be leaving behind Noami.

She's the first friend I made when I got here. Though we're both busy we managed to develop a close relationship. I'm going to miss her like crazy, but this is what I have to do for myself.

I can't torture myself by staying here. Seeing Sterling after all this would just be too much for me. I know I may be taking this a little harder than I should, but this is the second time he's just up and left me without giving a reason.

I can't condone this behavior from him or it'll end up becoming a bad habit of his that I want no part of.

"That simple huh?" Noami raised a brow. "How do you feel about that?"

"Surprised." I confessed. "Also a little relieved but I'm still sad as well. It's just a shame that it came to this."

My phone began to ring, interrupting our conversation. I took it out of my bag to see who was on the one calling me. My heart picked up for a moment and then my stomach dropped when I read Sterling's name.

"Are you going to take that?" Noami asked as she noticed I was hesitant on answering the call.

"Yeah." I let out a low sigh.

I got up from the couch and headed for the guest room I had been staying in. I had no idea how this conversation was going to go so having our privacy would be best.

I closed the door to the room and answered the call. "Hello Sterling."

"You answered." He seemed slightly surprised. "I thought you'd dodge me to be honest."

"What do you want?" I bypassed his comment on purpose, the sooner this conversation is over the better.

"I wanted to hear your voice." His tone was soft, I could tell he was being careful on what he chose to say. "How are you Izzy?"

"Don't call me that." I responded coldly. "You lost that privilege when you decided to keep things from me."

"Okay." He let out a low breath. "I'm sorry, but I really want to know how you're doing. I do care about you."

"You have a funny way of showing it." I scoffed as I rolled my eyes.

If he really cared he would've let me in, he wouldn't have let me walk away. All I needed was for him to tell me what he was up to. If he needed me out of the way for whatever he had planned he could've just said that to begin with.

But he didn't.

"Isabelle." He paused for a moment. "Just answer the question please."

He probably already knows the answer. I bet money Killian informed him that I'm holding up the best I can but it still gets to me. It's the only reason I can think of that he'd call me out of the blue.

"I'm fine." I fought back the urge to choke up. "Thanks for asking, is there anything else I can help you with?"

"You know I love you, right?" His voice remained soft however, his words seemed a little daring.

"I'm not even sure how you want me to respond to that." I believed he did, but love doesn't solve the trust issues that have risen.

"You don't have to say anything to it." He was doing his best to remain calm, but I know this was getting to him. "I just wanted you to know."

"Okay." The word was almost a whisper as it left my lips.

We both sat on the phone in silence, neither of us wanting to hang up and end the conversation. Part of me didn't want to hang up, hearing his voice was giving me hope that maybe he had come to his senses and was calling to let me in.

"Sterling." I mustered up the courage to ask him. "What is it you're up to?"

This was the last chance I was giving him to let me in. If he still couldn't come clean then I can at least say I gave him multiple opportunities.

"I can't." His voice slightly cracked. "It's for your own good Izzy, I just need you to trust me and I will do everything to make this right."

I didn't doubt that, once he was done I knew he would be coming after me. That's why the best decision is for me to leave. I have no intention of telling him either, he's keeping me in the dark so I might as well do the same. On top of that, he'll just try to stop me and I don't need that right now.

"I can't do this." I choked down the emotions that were rising inside. "Please, just leave me alone Sterling. Let me move on from this."

"No." His voice slightly darkened. "I refuse to let this end because of what's going on, when this is done and over with I will win you back Isabelle, I'll die before I let you go again."

It was pointless to fight with him. We would just keep going in circles and things will just end up worse than they already are. So, I'll humor him for now and hopefully his father can get me out of Nashville sooner rather than later.

"I have to go." I whispered.

I didn't have anything to do, I just wanted to end this call.

"Okay." I could sense his reluctance. "I love you."

I gulped down the lump that had developed in my throat. It was taking all of me to keep myself together as I responded. "Goodbye Sterling."