A Surprise

Sterling

"Mr. Tipton, the document is here." Eve informed me over the phone. "Would you like for me to bring it in?"

"Yes please." I responded and ended the connection.

A few seconds later Eve came into my office with a yellow envelope in her hands. This contained everything needed to give Isabelle the bakery. It took over a month to get everything set, but all she needs is to write the name and sign it now.

Eve handed the envelope over to me. "Here it is."

"Thank you." I opened it up, double checking to make sure everything was here.

I have plans to surprise Isabelle tonight. It's been a month since I increased security and she's been a good sport about it and I'd like to show her my appreciation.

I placed the documents back into the envelope and closed it up. "Make sure my schedule is cleared after five."

"Yes Sir." Eve nodded. "Anything else?"

"Not at this time." I responded. "You're excused."

She turned around and exited my office, leaving me to contemplate how I'd like to do this. I could just take her to the bakery and hand it over, but I feel she deserves a little more than that. I might as well make an evening of it.

I got up from my desk and headed out of the office. My eyes landed right on Isabelle and I felt my heart skip a beat. Every time I look at her she's still just as breathtaking as before.

I started walking over to her and once she heard my footsteps she looked up from the project she was working on. A soft smile spread across her lips and her eyes met mine. "Hello there Mr. Tipton. Shouldn't you be working?"

She's right, I should be.

My father has been out of the office since Samuel is set to arrive soon, so I've been running things for the most part. He still comes in twice a week to make sure everything's running smoothly and luckily we haven't had any problems I can't handle.

Of course, it helps that he's been preparing me for this since the moment I showed interest in taking over the family business one day.

"I should be." I responded to her question. "But I decided to take a few minutes to come and see my favorite person in the office."

"Oh." She nodded. "I'll see if Killian is free right now."

My eyes narrowed. "We both know it's not Killian I'm talking about, Sweetheart."

"I know." She smirked. "I just wanted to tease you."

"Well done." I praised before switching the subject to what's brought me over here. "I was wanting to take you to dinner tonight after work."

"Okay." Her gorgeous smile returned to her lips. "Are we doing anything special?"

"No." I played it off as I shoved my hands into my pockets. "Just wanted to take you out. Is that a crime?"

"Not at all." She shook her head. "I look forward to it."

"My too." I shot her a grin before turning around and heading back into my office to finish up the rest of my work for today.

The next few hours quickly passed and before I knew it, the clock on my computer hit five. I closed everything out and left the office to go walk with Isabelle. She was standing near her desk already waiting for me when I walked over.

"Ready?" She asked.

"Yes." I nodded as I grabbed her hand in mine.

We walked over to the elevator and stepped inside. I continued holding her hand in mine as I pressed the button for it to descend. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed her curiously watching me.

I raised a brow as I gave her my full attention. "What?"

"Nothing." She shrugged. "Just admiring you. So, where are we going?"

"Just a place down the street." I responded. "I figured we could walk."

"Okay." She nodded.

The elevator doors opened and I led the way out of the building. We walked side by side as I guided the way to the restaurant I had in mind. It happens to be just across the street from the bakery which made it the perfect choice.

"It's nice out today." She acknowledged as she looked around the street. "Spring's really coming in full force."

"That it is." I responded just as my phone began to go off.

She looked over at me. "Are you going to get that?"

"No." I shook my head and ignored it. "It can wait."

We continued to walk towards the restaurant and my phone started to go off again, this time I pulled it out of my pocket and noticed Scarlett's name on the screen. I forced myself to keep my annoyance at bay as I answered and brought the phone to my ear.

"Can this wait? Now is not a good time Scar."

"Mom's in labor!" There was a mix of urgency and excitement in her voice. "We're on our way to the hospital now."

My chest tightened as I fear shot through my body as my mind immediately reminds me that I lost my mom because she gave me life. Now that I'm older and I understand it all, the complications automatically plague my mind when I think of anyone close to me giving birth and it's terrifying.

Especially when it comes to Kaydence.

She's the reason why my family is whole, without her who knows where the hell we would all be. Scarlett probably wouldn't exist and if my father had found out about me on his own I know we wouldn't have the relationship we do. It's because of her he's not the heartless man I heard he once was, it's because of her our family has one of the strongest bonds.

Nothing can happen to her. I can't lose her.

"Sterling?" Scarlett's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. "Are you coming?"

"Yeah." My voice rasped. "I'll be right there."

I hung up the phone and turned around to face Isabelle. There was a look of concern plastered all over her face.

"Is everything okay?" She asked gently.

"It's Kaydence." I want to choke down the next words because once I say them, it becomes real. However, I have to force them out of my throat. "She's having the baby."