Necessary Precautions?

Sterling

"All done." Isabelle smiled as she placed the dinner she made in front of us. "I hope you like it, it was the only thing I could think of at the last minute."

"There's nothing of yours that I've never liked." I reassured her as I cut into the pancake with my fork. "Even if breakfast for dinner seems a little odd."

I've heard about it being a thing, but I've never had it. In our house breakfast foods usually stayed in the morning, not that I think it's intentional. I just don't think my father has ever considered switching it up a little bit.

"Food is food." She replied as she sat down next to me. "It doesn't matter when you eat it as long as you enjoy it."

"I know of one thing I enjoy eating at any time of day." I can't help the suggestive smirk that spread across my lips. "In case you forgot what that is, I have no problem digging in... again."

Her cheeks reddened as she began to blush. "Sterling."

I wrapped my arm around her waist and leaned in to place a kiss on her cheek. "You love it."

"That I do." She smiled as she picked up a piece of bacon. "That I do."

Taking a bite from my food, it's no surprise to me when everything is full of flavor. I'm convinced that there's nothing she can't do in the kitchen. Every dish, no matter what it is, blows me away.

"You like it?" She asked, watching me in anticipation for my answer.

I nodded as I answered her. "Yes. I love it."

"Good." A satisfied smile worked onto her lips.

I feel relieved that even though she was upset with me this afternoon, I managed to be able to turn it around. I knew when I left the office that I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about the disagreement in my office until I had the chance to put a smile back on her face.

However, the thought reminds me that we still need to have a more in depth conversation. I need her to understand that Henry will no longer just be driving her around, she has to know he'll be in the apartment across the hall watching everyone who goes in and out of this apartment.

"Isabelle." I spoke calmly to get her attention. "I still need to talk to you."

She swallowed the food in her mouth before saying anything. "Okay, what more is there to say? I feel like I understand pretty clearly that I need to be careful."

A low breath escaped my lips. "You already know Henry is in charge of taking you places and watching for dangers. I've now given him more responsibility because I have to make sure you're safe."

If anything were to happen to her, I don't know what I would do. I almost lost her once because of my own stupidity and things got dark. If I lose her again, I don't think there would be any coming back from that this time.

"More responsibility?" She raised a brow. "What exactly does that mean and am I going to like it?"

"I don't know if you will." The best thing I can do is be honest. "But like I told you in your room, I'm trying to keep you protected."

"Okay." She nodded. "Go on."

"I've set Henry up in the apartment across the hall, that way if you need him he's just a few feet away." I explained, cautiously watching to see how she reacts. "Henry will also do more than drive you, he will be following you inside of every building. He will keep his distance so you still have your privacy, but he won't be too far away."

She remained calm as she took it all in and looked at me. "I understand, but do you really think all these precautions are needed? Mr. King isn't even here in Tennessee."

"Yes." I responded. "If I didn't feel they were necessary then they wouldn't be in place."

I have to be patient with her on all of this, she's not used to being on this side of things. When catering to anyone rich she's just been their assistant, she hasn't gotten involved so deeply in their personal lives like she has mine.

"Alright." She glanced down and then back up at me. "I trust you, I'll do whatever you need me to."

I turned myself to face her better, bringing my hand up to caress her cheek. "This isn't forever, just until I know his motive and what he's planning."

"I know." She gave me a faint smile.

"Good." I pulled my hand away and turned my attention back to my food. "My father's taking the same steps. Both Kaydence and Scarlett have their guards on high alert as well."

"Damn." She stabs her fork into her food. "Hopefully we can get this Mr. King thing figured out soon."

"I hope so too." I let out a small sigh. "I'm just waiting for a lead, all it takes is one to start unraveling everything else."

She placed her hand on mine. "You've got this, I know you do."

"I appreciate your faith in me Sweetheart." I've had a few doubts myself, but her words reassure me and give me the strength to have a little faith in myself.

"I have a question about the guard thing." She shifted in her chair. "Noami lives here too and she doesn happen to bring some people home from time to time, how is that going to work?"

I know by now Noami can be trusted, but I don't know if her judgment on people can be. If anyone knows that she's roommates with Isabelle, she'll be taken advantage of.

"Is there anyone in particular she's seeing?" I asked.

"There's one." Isabelle answered. "He's a bartender that works with her. I've met him a few times and he seems harmless. I know they've been hooking up regularly but I don't necessarily know if that means he'll be the only one that comes here."

"I want his name." The best way to ensure her safety is to know who the people are around her. "I'll look into him, but for the time being if she could have her flings somewhere else that would be ideal."

"Okay." Isabelle nodded. "I'll talk with her."

I'm relieved that she didn't fight back. "Thank you."

"No problem." She said and a smirk appeared on her lips. "But you owe me."

"Is that so?" I raised a brow.

Her smirk grew wider. "Yup."

Little does she know I'm already in the process of repaying her for her patience. Once the papers are prepped, I'll be surprising her in the biggest way.

**Author's Note**

Okay, I know this is going to come up because it does with every chapter that Sterling refers to Kaydence by name. It's on one platform in particular, but I'm addressing it on all of them.

Sterling is a character in my mind, I know how he thinks and I know the reasons behind everything he does. When he's with Kaydence he will always refer to her as mom her because she is a mom to him. When he is around others he does use her name and that's for a few reasons. Even though she's gone his biological mom is still a big part of him and we will see that in some coming chapters. He will never use his bio mom's name out of respect. She died, she didn't just walk out on him. This is how he (and me) decipher which mom is being spoken about. I can assure you, Kaydence is not bothered by it at all. We've known from Binding Agreement how he sees her and the respect that they have for one another.

I hope this clears it up for you guys so no one thinks it's out of disrespect. Thank you <3