I Was Just A Pawn

Isabelle

I took a seat at my desk and buried my face into my hands. He was in love with someone else now. I wasn't stupid, it's been four years he was of course going to move on. He was an attractive man and a Tipton, women probably were throwing themselves at him left and right.

Hell I had even moved on myself. I had gotten into a couple relationships since I left. One of them had been pretty serious actually. I ended up breaking it off with him as things just began to fizzle out. I couldn't see myself marrying him and giving him the life he wanted.

Our moving on didn't mean hearing Sterling tell another woman that he loved her didn't hurt me. Coming back here had opened me back up to the past I thought I put behind. My scars were open once again and I was feeling vulnerable.

"Are you okay?" A familiar voice asked.

"I'm fine." I responded.

I was still a little irritated to find out he was in on this whole scheme to get me back here. I couldn't understand why though. If Sterling had moved on what was the point of me being here anyway? What purpose was I serving for Damon Tipton?

"Izzy." Killian studied my features. "You're not, what's wrong?"

"I don't want to talk about it." My words came out snappier than I had intended. I let out a sigh. "I'm sorry Killian, there's just a lot going on."

"I was going to get a drink after work, why don't you join me?" He suggested.

"Don't you have your own work to be doing?" Sterling's voice startles me as it comes out of nowhere. His tone was darker and tinged with a hint of anger. "Instead of trying to swoop in on MY assistant?"

"It's not like-" Killian starts to talk but I interrupt him.

"Sure. I'll go for a drink with you." I can see on Sterling's face his not pleased as the words leave my mouth. His body slightly tensed up.

Killian's light brown eyes looked between Sterling and I. The tension only seemed to grow. I can tell he's trying to figure out how to respond. He knew if he said the wrong thing it would set Sterling off.

Sterling doesn't say anything but I noticed his clenched fist. He turns around and marches back to his office. He opened the door forcefully and slammed it behind him. Someone was clearly upset at the idea of me being out with another man. I wasn't about to tell him there was nothing between Killian and I, he could stew with his anger for all I cared.

"So meet me back here at five?" I suggest as Killian still remained silent.

"Uh, yeah." He was clearly hesitant. "Are you sure it's a good idea? I don't want to make any more problems between the two of you."

"It's fine." I confidently answered. "Sterling doesn't own me just because I'm his assistant. I can still make my own decisions."

Killian nodded in response. "Okay, I'll come back over around five then."

"Perfect." I gave him a small smile.

He walks away and I can't help but look towards Sterling's office door. Part of me feels the need to go and explain myself to him. I push that feeling away quickly. We were nothing to each other, he had moved on so he shouldn't at all be worried about what I was doing.

The next few hours came and went. Sterling spent the entire time pretty much sulking in his office. Thankfully his father had stopped sending papers my way. With how angry he was I wouldn't put it past him to lock me in there to avoid going out with Killian.

Killian approached again. He looked around to see if Sterling was nearby before speaking. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yes." I nodded and grabbed my purse.

I proceeded to walk with Killian to the elevator. We stepped inside and I turned to face the office area. I noticed right away that Sterling had stepped out from his and was watching us closely. I knew he was jealous, he had the same look on his face that he would get when another boy asked me to play at the orphanage when we were kids.

The elevator doors closed and it made it's descent down to the ground floor. I stepped out and followed Killian over to his blue Mercedes Benz. I got into the passenger seat and he started driving to the nearby bar. It only took us about ten minutes to get there.

He parked the car and we went inside. We both took a seat down at the counter. The bartender approached us. She had dark hair with slightly tanned skin. Her brown eyes watched Killian as he proceeded to order us both a drink.

We talked back and forth a few as he took drink after drink before he excused himself to the bathroom. The bartender approached again. "It's not often the womanizer brings a girl in with him. Is it serious?" She raised a brow as she asked.

"No." I let out a small chuckle. "We've known each other for years, just friends."

"Good." I could see a look of relief cross her face. "Because I didn't want to be the person to have to tell a girlfriend her boyfriend was in here nights ago picking up women."

I let out another chuckle. "Nope, he's single so no worries."

Killian had always been quite the ladies man himself. He liked the attention he got from women. He got around but that didn't mean he was a bad guy. It just meant it was going to take one hell of a woman to get him to ever settle down.

"Tough day?" She questioned as she studied me.

"Yeah." I sighed. "My ex is currently my boss so I'm afraid it's only tough days for me."

"Ouch." She responded. "I'm Noami by the way." She stuck her hand out.

I grasped her hand and gave it a shake. "I'm Isabelle."

An intoxicated Killian approached me. "Are you ready?" He stammered out.

"Yes. But I'm driving." I grabbed his keys. I had enough to stay within the legal limit.

He walked beside me as I led the way to his car. I got him in and then went over to the driver's seat. I started the car and began to drive him home.

"He still loves you." Killian suddenly blurted out as he looked at me. I assumed the alcohol he consumed made him let down his filter. "He never stopped loving you."

"It doesn't matter." I responded. "He has someone else now."

"Elise?" Killian scoffed. "She doesn't make him happy. He's fucking miserable."

"What do you mean?" I asked as I focused on the road. "Why not leave then?"

"She threatens to hurt herself every time he tries." Killian's disgust is clear in his voice. "She only actually tried once to prove a point to him. His father found out she's actually faking it all, just to keep Sterling. He just doesn't know why yet. Sterling has a good heart so he buys into it too easily and stays. He's like a mouse stuck in a trap."

That's why I was here, I was just a pawn to get Sterling to leave his toxic relationship.