Keeping An Eye On Things

Sterling

"So what's the point of this little stake out?" Killian asked from the driver's seat of his car.

"We're keeping an eye on things." I explained for the second time now. "I just want to be cautious while Isabelle's in there."

"Does she know you're doing this?" He arched an eyebrow as he questioned me.

"No." I kept my eyes focused on the bar across the street. "And she's not going to. That's why we're in your car."

My green Lamborghini would stick out like a sore thumb. I couldn't have my cover blown as I didn't want her to think I didn't trust her. God knows I do, I just don't trust what Elise may do if she were to catch Isabelle on her own.

"Okay." Killian sighed. "I'm bored though, can we at least talk a little bit."

I shot him a death glare. "What exactly do you want to talk about?"

"Calm down." He responded. "I just want to catch up with you is all. I feel like now that we're both working at your dad's company that we don't have much time to talk."

I felt a pang of guilt. He's absolutely right. Work and everything with Elise seemed to force me to put my friendship on the back burner.

I knew it probably didn't feel good for him. Killian's like a brother to me, in fact he views my family as his own. Which is probably why he would feel a little neglected I guess.

"I'm sorry." I softened my tone as I apologized. "Things have just been a little crazier than normal."

"I get it." Killian nodded. "Really, I get it."

"So tell me then, what's going on with you?" I asked as I focused back on the bar across the street.

"Not much." He let out another sigh. "My parents called me the other day."

I swiftly turned my attention back to him. Killian hearing from his parents was a big deal. Considering they all had seemed to disown each other.

"What did they want?" I questioned.

"Guess my brother isn't running the company like pops wants." He let out a chuckle but it was void of any humor. "He wanted me to come and see if I could do a better job."

"What did you say?" I glanced back to the bar for a moment before turning my attention back to him.

"Told him to kindly fuck off." Killian shrugged. "I'm not going to let myself be a second choice when we all know I would've done great things for that place."

"I'm sure he took that very well." I sarcastically responded.

I knew it was far from the opposite. If anything it probably started a whole new argument between the two of them.

"He was insulted that I'd rather be a nobody at Tipton Enterprises rather than be somebody at his place." Killian shook his head. "Said that family should be the ones I choose over friends."

Killian wasn't a nobody at our company. Right now he's a manager and he's a damn good one at that. On top of it, he's the one I have picked to take the vice president seat when my father finally retires and I move into his seat.

"And what did you tell him?" I asked.

"Told him that blood doesn't define who your family is." He answered. "If he really wanted to be viewed as family then he needed to actually treat me like a son for once."

I nodded as I listened to him continue to vent.

I've known Killian and his family since they moved into the same gated neighborhood where my father's mansion sits. Things were pretty good until Killian reached his teenage years. His father's a strict man and Killian liked to push his buttons and occasionally get into trouble.

He's grown a lot since then, but his father still holds it all against him. He didn't let it bug him until his father's company got handed over to his younger brother.

I gave him a pat on the back. "You know you always have a place with the Tipton family."

"I know." He nodded.

"How's the dating scene going?" I decided to change the subject to something a little lighter.

"I'm getting bored." He sighed.

I shoot him a puzzled look. "Bored? You're bored? You're in fucking Nashville, it's not exactly a tiny place. Not to mention with all the tourists around you have endless amounts of women in front of you. How are you, of all people, bored?"

"I don't know." He shrugged. "It's getting too easy. I mean, I'm a good looking guy and I'm making a shit ton of money. Getting girls is easy, but I need a challenge."

"Good luck with that." I don't really have much advice to give him.

My dating history pretty much went Isabelle, then Elise, now back to Isabelle. I had many chances to experience one night stands after Isabelle but I always declined them. Random hookups just really have never been my thing.

"Think maybe Izzy can hook me up with Noami since they're friends now?" He wiggled his eyebrows as an amused smirk crossed his lips.

"I doubt it." The last thing I need for him is to complicate things with someone giving us information, and the same someone who happened to be one of Isabelle's only friends since she got here.

"Eh." He seemed unbothered. "It's not like it'd happen anyway. Noami's can be a tight ass when she's there running things, she'd probably be the same way in the bedroom."

"Maybe." I paused for a moment as I chose my next words carefully. "Maybe, you're bored because you want more than just sex. Have you considered looking for a girlfriend?"

Killian looked at me as if I were insane. He then let out a burst of laughter, like I just told him the funniest joke he's ever heard.
"No." He spoke as he finally calmed down after a minute. "That's definitely not it. Maybe I just need to go find a new position or something."

"I... see." I don't know what else to say. Unlike him, I don't have this problem. It's never a bore between Isabelle and I. Each time is more exciting than the last.

"Maybe I'll try anal." Killian threw in nonchalantly. "I heard that can be pretty fun."

"Dude!" This is the last thing I wanted to be talking about with him right now.

"Relax, I'm just fucking with you." He chuckles. "I already know it's fun."

By the grace of God, the conversation is dropped the moment we see Isabelle exit the bar. She's got some papers in her hands, ones she didn't go into the bar with. By the way she was clutching them, whatever they contained had to be something important.

Maybe she got something to finally get Elise to shut up and leave me alone.