Chapter 21

There were flashlights everywhere and the occasional barking of dogs.

" Shit"

A big bald guy in ripped jeans  cursed out loud with frustration written all over his face. He couldn't believe that someone had escaped right under his nose.

'too bad that I'm not just someone'

" Maybe something else had triggered the alarm"

One of his minions probably him, he was dressed in black , the  bald guy who was also the gang leader looked at him with an intimidating stare.

" I mean we've searched everywhere in the building and around this perimeter and we didn't see at trace of someone, even the package is still sealed as it was. Maybe we are all just worked up for nothing"

He quickly explained himself.

I could see them but they couldn't see me of course I can't afford to be caught, it would be a death sentence.

" The  passage to air vents is unscrewed" the bald guy replied

' shot , I totally forgot about that'

" And the alarm went off, it was triggered!" He added raising his voice.

" It could be a rat, I saw the rat poop on the shelf"

" Hmm"

I think the guy reasoned with his subordinate because his expression eased a little but as soon as he was relaxing, the alarm went off again.

"Adam !!!".
Came the shrill voice of a woman.

" It's Boss" the guy in black explained

" She received the signal too"

The bald man sighed shaking his head a little before walking towards the building.

Third person's POV

The men walked away , the flashlights were long gone and so weer the dogs, the was rustling in a bush very close to where the men had been standing, the shrub rose to a human height and walked away.

When the figure had reached a certain distance from the built, the shrub fell to  the ground, there was a man in the flower costume. He pulled off the remaining costume and smirked as he patted his coat where he had hidden the file and walked further into the night.

Eric's POV

" We've found a suitable bride for you, it's someone you know"

No, not again, I can't believe this whole conversation is taking place again.

We are all in the parlour, husband and wife sat side by side while I sat across facing them. If not for the same colour of hair  I inherited from my father and pair of hazel eyes I got from my mom, there is nothing to show that they are my parents.

They we're looking at me intently , waiting for me to say something and fall into their trap but I know better than to talk, I sip my tea and returned their stare.

" We know what's best for you" mom said and I nearly rolled my eyes at that statement.

Everytime I hear that statement, it means that they got me something I don't like, something very bad. They don't even know me that well, they don't know my preferences, my best colour, the food I like best and many others so how do I trust them with finding me a life partner.

I mean when last has my so called mother have a heart to heart talk with me? Lemme check.
Oops, I forgot, that probably happened when I was in her belly. They used to mind their business and I have grown to like that, what happened now?

" We can't be having this conversation " I said and stood up.
I was late for work already.

" She's a nice girl" she continued, I adjusted my tie.

" I bet she is" I replied.

" Eric" Dad cautioned

They were still looking at me silently as I wore my coat, it was snowing. I wonder why they were in the city, they used to love traveling all the time but they've been here for a whole month without any showing any signs of traveling. Did they decide to spend sometime with their son? I guess I would have been happy if it were when I was little, too bad  I'm all grown up now.

Oh I get it, their friends have probably been talking about their married children and how they were going to become grandparents, now they also want to belong but it's not going to work.

I did the last turn and headed for the door.

" She was a classmate of yours"

I halted at my mom's voice. For a second I thought they were talking about Anna but then they don't know her and with her new identity there's no way she would reveal that we were once classmates that leaves only one person.

" Her name's Lisa" she said

'Just as I thought'

Lisa, Anna, I and Brian we're very close in highschool, we ate lunch together, hung out together and sometimes go home together.  Anna was more closer to me than the rest, I guess it's because I like her but I also had no problem with the other two. I had always thought that Brian and Lisa had something going on but I was proved wrong when Lisa started to show her true intentions shortly after Anna had travelled abroad and had just cut off all contacts with us. I had out of politeness visited her home to inquire about Anna as they were friends , she secretly took a picture of us posted on social media , I pretended not to know  even when there were rumors that we were going out with each other and continued to be friends with her in case Anna decided to contact any of us. This continued till she finally had the boldness to spike my drink when we were in our first year at the University, I was lucky thank I managed to chase her out of my apartment before the drugs started to fully take effects . Our school had come first in a quiz competition and I had taken part in it, Brian suggested we had a small party to celebrate the victory she had taken the excuse of serving the drinks to spike mine luckily for the party ended immediately after we shared the drinks. She continued to linger in  the pretense of helping me to clean up even though I had a maid , I saw her out when she was done and I had started to get uncomfortable. My body temperature had risen and I was feeling strange.

I complained to the maid and she took me to the hospital where the doctor confirmed that I had been drugged, I knew right away that she was the one and started to keep my distance from her and now my parents want her to be my wife too bad that won't be happening because my Anna is back.