10

"So when's Derek going to make us dinner?" Lexie asked as she and Meredith walked up and down the aisles of the grocery store.

"How about...never?" Meredith asked as she looked down at the list Derek had given her. The list she had been given very strict instructions not to stray from at all.

"But he's coming over to our house," Lexie insisted. "Shouldn't we be allowed to eat whatever he makes?"

"No," Meredith replied. "Look at this. He wrote 'Lettuce. A full head, not the prepackaged salads you think count as lettuce.' Seriously. Just because I can't cook he thinks I can't grocery shop either. The man's an idiot."

Lexie giggled. "He loves you," she said. "He's just teasing you. It's sweet."

"I know," Meredith sighed as she pulled a head of lettuce off the shelf. "He's pretty amazing."

Lexie smiled. "So I talked to Dad today," she said casually.

"Lexie, he's not my dad and you know it," Meredith sighed as she reached for a bottle of salad dressing.

"I know," Lexie sighed. "But he wanted me to ask you to Thanksgiving."

"Thanksgiving's three weeks away," Meredith rolled her eyes.

"I know," Lexie said. "But it's just that last year you sat at home and ate pizza by yourself. And Mom and Dad weren't exactly happy when they found out about that. Especially since you did the same thing at Christmas."

"It's not a big deal," Meredith shrugged. "I hate holidays anyways."

"You're an elementary school teacher," Lexie pointed out. "How could you possibly hate holidays?"

"I like Halloween," Meredith suggested.

"You like Halloween because you slept with Derek on Halloween," Lexie said.

Meredith paused for a moment, staring at her sister before she pushed the shopping cart forward. "That's not the point."

"Okay, what is the point?" Lexie asked, moving to catch up with her.

"The point is...okay, I don't know what the point is," Meredith sighed. "But I'm not going to your dad's for Thanksgiving."

"Fine," Lexie sighed. "But if you change your mind..."

"I'm not going to change my...Derek?" Meredith frowned as she saw her boyfriend moving towards her.

"Hey," he said, leaning forward to kiss her gently before he took her hand. "Hi Lexie."

"What are you doing here?" Meredith asked.

"I have big news," Derek smiled. "I knew you were here and I didn't want to wait to tell you."

"Okay," she said slowly. "What is it?"

"I was just offered a position as an intern at Seattle Grace," Derek said with a grin. "Which means I won't be leaving after I graduate."

"Oh," Meredith blinked, nodding in surprise. She hadn't even thought of the fact that he might have been leaving Seattle the next year. "That's...great."

"That's really great," Derek nodded.

"Wait a minute," Lexie frowned. "You were offered an internship? Seattle Grace is the best hospital on the west coast. Getting an internship there is really competitive, and some of the best doctors in the country weren't accepted there."

"I know," Derek smirked. "But when you don't get a single point taken off on your boards and you perfect your clinicals...hospitals want you."

"You...got perfect scores on your boards?" Lexie asked with wide eyes. "That's... amazing."