65

"...And they can suck their thumbs now," Derek reported, looking up from his book, releasing an arm from around her as he turned the page, his eyes moving carefully over the words.

"Mmmhmm," Meredith sighed as she tried to roll out of his arms. For some reason the moment he had returned from work the day before, he had refused to let go of her for hours.

"Where are you going?" Derek frowned. "I'm reading about our babies. Big things are happening."

"I know," she murmured from her side of the bed. "But you don't need to hold me while you do that."

"Yes I do," he replied.

"Derek, I know you like holding me," she sighed, burying her face in the pillow. "I love it, I do. And so do the babies. But I'm hot. It's ridiculously hot in here and I need my own space right now."

"But the book says I need to hug you," Derek frowned. "It says you need to feel loved, so I need to hug you."

"I'm so regretting buying you that book," Meredith rolled her eyes, looking at the book for expectant fathers that hadn't left her husband's hands in the past week. She was actually beginning to wonder if he had people read it to him during surgery. He was obsessed.

"It says that you need to be hugged so you'll hug the babies," Derek argued. "So I'm hugging you."

"Seriously?" Meredith asked. "You think if you don't hug me I won't hug our babies? Seriously?"

"It's what the book says."

"If you don't stop looking at that damn book you won't be hugging me or anyone else ever again," she snapped.

"Fine," Derek rolled his eyes, closing the book. "Then I won't read it anymore. I'll just sit here."

"You don't want to know what's going on with our babies?" she asked, tears filling her eyes.

"You just told me to stop..." Derek inhaled deeply as he reached out to rub her belly, his hand making contact much before he thought it would. "Mer," he frowned, looking down at her stomach.

"What?" she snapped.

"Stand up."

Meredith rolled her eyes as she tried to sit up, frowning when she fell back against the pillows. "Help me up," she sighed.

"I think you popped," Derek breathed as he pulled her to her feet, her stomach much bigger than it had been the night before.

"Oh," Meredith frowned as she looked at the very swollen stomach. "I can't see my feet."

"Good job guys," Derek murmured as he pressed his lips to her stomach. "Now everyone will know you're in there."

"I'm only four months," Meredith whispered.

"With twins," Derek added. "Factor in how small you are...you popped early. They're making themselves known."

"They're getting big."

"They are," Derek smiled. "Can you feel them move?"

"No," she sighed. "I don't think so."

"Soon," Derek smiled. "Daddy's proud of you guys. You're growing well. And making Mommy look completely beautiful."

"Fat."

"Beautiful."

"Fat."

"Meredith," Derek laughed, standing to meet her eyes.

"Hmm?"

"Can I hug you now?"

"Oh," Meredith smiled, cuddling into his arms. "Definitely."