86

"Derek, I really don't understand why we have to do this," Meredith sighed as he pulled their car into his mother's driveway.

"It's just a cook out," Derek laughed, turning to look at her as he parked the car. He took in her concerned face and tilted his head to the side as he reached out to tug gently on a strand of her hair. "Mer, what's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing," she sighed. "I just...the girls really shouldn't be outside for that long, so we should go home."

"We put sun block on them," Derek rolled his eyes as he moved out of the car to reach for Becky. "And they have their adorable little Yankees hats. They'll be completely fine."

"I guess," Meredith murmured as she reached for Melanie. She held her baby close to her, unable to resist a smile as Melanie nuzzled into her neck. "You didn't forget Mommy's birthday, did you sweetheart? Your daddy won't be getting any you know what from me for a long time, because he always remembers my birthday. So he's in big trouble this year."

"What are you two gossiping about?" Derek laughed as he walked around the car, Becky in one arm and diaper bag slung over his other shoulder, and he wrapped an arm around her waist.

"Nothing," Meredith sighed as she walked around the house to the backyard. As soon as they reached the backyard, she stopped short when she saw balloons and streamers, and the entire family gathered around a table that sat beside the porch. "What..." she blinked in surprise as Meg ran over to her, the rest of the family following with their own greetings.

"Happy birthday Aunt Meredith!" Meg cried, and a moment later Meredith found herself and Melanie engulfed in hugs and kisses and birthday wishes. She eventually found her bearings and returned the hugs with thanks.

"Happy birthday, Mer," Derek whispered when the family had backed away, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

Meredith blinked in surprise as she turned to him. "You remembered?" she breathed, moving closer to him.

"Of course I remembered," Derek frowned. "Have I ever forgotten your birthday? I'd never do that."

"Well...no," she sighed, leaning into him. "I just thought you did. Because we have kids now, and I don't know..."

"I'll never forget your birthday, Mer," Derek laughed, pulling her close. "And I did have a whole thing planned that included breakfast in bed, but then we had some excitement with our little girls starting to talk."

"They're not actually talking, Der," Meredith giggled. "Just making noise. To each other."

"Babbling," Derek sighed. "It's still exciting."

"Definitely," Meredith giggled.

"Basa nome bada," Melanie echoed Meredith's giggle, suddenly squirming in her arms. Meredith smiled as she saw Emma approaching and Melanie stretching her arms out for her grandmother.

"Someone wants to see Grandma," Meredith giggled as she handed Melanie over to Emma.

"Hello darling," Emma said, kissing the top of Melanie's head. "Happy birthday, Meredith, dear."

"Thank you," Meredith sighed.

"We've got plenty of food," Emma smiled. "And cake and presents of course. It's not a birthday party without presents."

"I can't believe you did this," Meredith said, leaning into Derek and rubbing a gentle hand along Becky's back.

"It was Derek's idea," Emma said, looking at her son. "He wanted to be sure that you could get out of the house and really enjoy your birthday. Not that you shouldn't celebrate with your daughters, but you should also allow your family to enjoy the day with you."