31

"Derek," Meredith breathed as she stepped into the tiny room at the bed and breakfast in Tipperary a few days later. "This is so adorable!"

Derek smiled as he set her suitcase on the ground beside the door. "I'll be right back, I'm going to get my suitcase from downstairs," he said.

"Okay," Meredith said distractedly as she opened the curtains to look out over the garden outside.

Derek looked at her for a moment, taking in the soft smile spread across her face as she took in the scenery before her. He inhaled sharply, wondering how in the world he had managed to live without her for so long, and said a prayer of thanks that it was never going to happen ever again. Hs turned to walk down the stairs of the small bed and breakfast, smiling politely at the woman working behind the desk.

"Mr. Shepherd," she said with a smiling, handing him a piece of paper. "I forgot to give you and your wife this information about our local pubs and restaurants. It may come in useful when you're hungry later."

"Oh," Derek smiled, reaching for the paper. That had been the second person who had assumed that he and Meredith were married, and he was already beginning to think that this was perhaps a sign. Maybe his Irish grandmother who had always believed in true love. "Thank you."

He made his way back up to their room, smiling when he opened the door and saw Meredith digging through her suitcase. "Hey," he said, moving forward and pulling her into his arms, kissing her passionately.

"Hi," she giggled against his lips, her hands moving through his hair. "You were gone for two minutes, Der. I barely had time to miss you."

"I know," Derek laughed. "I just needed to kiss you."

"Oh," Meredith smiled. "Well, feel free to do so anytime you need to."

"I'll remember that," Derek said, squeezing her tightly.

"So I was going to take a bath before we go out to dinner," Meredith said, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Are you interested?"

Derek smile as he kissed her again. "You relax," he said. "I'm going to run out and grab some stuff I forgot."

Meredith frowned. "What do you need?" she asked.

"I...condoms," Derek heard himself say.

"We've been having sex for three days without condoms," Meredith pointed out. "I'm on the pill, Derek."

"I know," he said. "I'm just trying to make sure we do everything we can. I love you, Mer, but I'm not ready to have a baby while I'm an intern."

"Okay," Meredith frowned, pulling out of his arms and moving towards the bathroom. "Go buy your condoms."

"Please don't be mad," Derek sighed.

"I'm not mad," she shook her head, turning to smile at him slightly. "Just confused. But whatever."

"I'm just trying to be as cautious as possible," he said.

"I know," she nodded. "I don't want a baby right now either."

"Well, at least we're on the same page with that," Derek sighed. "I'll be back. Enjoy your bath."

"Okay," Meredith smiled as he kissed her quickly. She sighed as she turned into the bathroom, starting the water and pinning her hair up above her neck. Her boyfriend was up to something, something he didn't want her to know about. She wasn't sure she wanted to know either, but she had to trust him. She loved him, and she'd promised him that she'd work on trusting him.

XXXXX

Derek sighed as he stepped out of the bed and breakfast, making his way towards the main street they'd ridden down in the taxi less than an hour earlier. He couldn't believe that he'd told her he was going to buy condoms. It had been the first thing that had popped into his mind, but it was so far from the truth. But he had to keep this a surprise for her, he needed to do it by himself and not let her find out.