77

Derek sighed as he made his way through his dark bedroom, collapsing onto his side of the bed and rolling his eyes as he pulled a book out from under his back. He was completely exhausted from worrying about Meredith and making sure that she had everything she needed. He knew she was going completely crazy and he had no reason to complain when she was confined to their bed, her back aching and barely able to stay awake for even an hour at a time. Her body really was working in overtime to take care of his daughters, so he had no reason to complain about providing her with everything she needed.

"Derek?" her small voice whispered into the darkness, and a moment later he felt her cuddle as close to his side as her large stomach would let her. He smiled as he reached out to rub her stomach.

"No, it's your other husband," Derek laughed.

"Not funny," she whispered, and he could sense the tears in her eyes as she inhaled deeply.

"What's wrong?" he asked, wrapping an arm around her. "You feel okay? The girls are okay, right?"

"I'm sorry I'm being a complete bitch," Meredith whispered. "I don't know what's wrong with me."

"Oh, Mer," Derek sighed, pulling her close to press a kiss to her forehead. "I know you're miserable, and I hate it. I just wish there was more I could do for you than get you magazines and rub your back."

"It's more than enough," Meredith nodded against his shoulder. "And I love you for doing it. Becky and Mel love you too."

"Good," Derek smiled, reaching out to rub her stomach. "They're still. Are they both sleeping?"

"Thank God," Meredith sighed. "They don't have much room to move anymore. They do still kick though."

"They're getting ready," Derek whispered.

"They are," Meredith nodded. "I don't think I'm going to make it another eight weeks. They're going to come soon."

"I don't think so either," Derek laughed slightly. "They'll be okay, Mer. They're healthy."

"Are you sure?" she whispered.

"Well...I can't promise anything," Derek said, squeezing her tightly. "But they're almost fully developed."

"Really?"

"Mmmhmm," Derek nodded. "Their eyes are completely developed. They have all their senses, their brain is intact. The only thing that they're doing right now is growing some fat. So if they're born now, they'll be completely healthy, just a little tiny. Nothing a little time in the incubator won't fix."

"Hmm," Meredith nodded, running a hand over her stomach. "Stay in there for a little while, girls," she whispered.

"But be nice to Mommy," Derek added. "Daddy doesn't like seeing her so miserable."

"Neither does Mommy," Meredith laughed. "I'm way too small of a person to carry twins, Derek."

"I know," Derek said sadly. "You've done amazing with this pregnancy, Mer, and I'm so proud of you."

"I haven't done anything."

"You have," Derek breathed. "Meredith, after watching you these past few months, after feeling my babies move inside of you, I don't think I've ever loved you more."

"Really?" Meredith whispered.

"Really," Derek nodded.

"So you're not going to leave?" Meredith asked softly.

"Leave?" Derek frowned. "Why in the world would I leave? Meredith, I don't even want you thinking that."

"I just...I know I'm completely fat and bitchy right now," she whispered. "And I can't even give you sex, which is...you love sex."