73

Meredith sighed as the doorbell rang through the house. Derek wasn't home, and she was completely not looking forward to getting off the couch and putting more pressure on her aching back.

"Come in!" she shouted, hoping whoever was there would hear her and not make her get up.

"Meredith?" Liz's voice called from the foyer. "Is Derek home? Where are you? I have a crisis."

"He's not here, Liz," Meredith called. "I'd get up but your nieces are sending piercing pains through by back."

"Right," Liz said as she walked into the room, her eyes rimmed with red as she sat down on the couch beside her.

"Liz, what's wrong?" Meredith asked, shifting slightly and pulling her ice pack out from under her back.

"I..." Liz inhaled sharply as she looked at Meredith. "What were the signs?" she asked softly.

"Signs?" Meredith frowned.

"How did you know you were pregnant?" Liz whispered, causing Meredith's spoon to clatter into her bowl of ice cream.

"Liz..." Meredith breathed.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I don't know what to do. I can't...my mom is going to kill me, and the sisters would all tell her. You're the only person I wasn't completely terrified to tell."

"Okay," Meredith sighed, rubbing her stomach softly. "Are you late? Sick? Can you fit into your bras?"

"I had some spotting," Liz whispered, looking down at her hands. "But it wasn't even enough for a tampon."

"Your boobs?"

"Completely sore," Liz whispered. "And I slept at Mom's last night, so she made me eggs this morning, which made me completely sick. I told her I was going to the doctor, but I came here."

"Oh, Liz," Meredith sighed. "It sounds like you are pregnant. Don't worry, I'll help you through this."

"I know," Liz whispered, tears filling her eyes. "Meredith, I don't know what to do about this."

"Does Shawn know?" Meredith asked.

"He broke up with me," Liz whispered. "I can't...If I tell him, he's going to take responsibility, but I don't want him to be with me because I'm pregnant. He doesn't love me."

Meredith sighed deeply before she reached for her cell phone. "Okay," she sighed. "I'm going to call Addison and ask her to pick up some tests and run them out here so we'll know."

"You're not mad?" Liz whispered.

"Of course not," Meredith shook her head as she held the phone to her ear. "This could just as easily have been Derek and I. We're going to figure this out, and then I'll help you tell Derek and the rest of the family."

"Okay," Liz whispered.

"Let me just talk to Addison, then we can eat ice cream and commiserate," Meredith said. "And pump water into you so you'll have to pee when she gets here. Don't worry, I'll take care of you."

XXXXX

"Okay, I'm here," Addison called, walking into the house, a hand resting on her baby bump. "I have pregnancy tests and double chocolate cheesecake, every pregnant woman's craving."

"Thank God," Liz said, jumping off the couch and grabbing the bag out of Addison's hand before rushing towards the bathroom.

"So she's pregnant too?" Addison asked, collapsing onto the couch beside Meredith.

"I think so," Meredith sighed.

"Poor girl."

"Read my mind."