67

"Lex, no offense, but I really don't want to go anywhere," Meredith sighed as she followed her sister out of school. "Derek promised me a foot rub, and we're going to pick out paint colors for the nursery."

"I know," Lexie nodded. "But George is absolutely no help when it comes to decorating the apartment. And since Izzie moved back to Boston, you're the only one I've got to help me."

"Fine," Meredith sighed. "But only because you helped me convince Derek that he can't put a poster of the Clash in the girls' nursery."

"Yay," Lexie giggled, grabbing Meredith's arm. "Come on."

"I can't walk fast anymore," Meredith giggled slightly. "Two people in my stomach, Lex."

"Right," Lexie nodded. "My nieces. Who will get cake later."

"This is why you're the favorite aunt," Meredith nodded. "But don't tell Derek's sisters that."

"I won't," Lexie promised as they got into her car. "How have you been feeling?"

"Really good," Meredith nodded. "Big belly and swollen ankles, but other than that I feel perfectly normal."

"Derek says you can feel them," Lexie breathed.

"I can," Meredith smiled, running a hand over her ever expanding belly. "They're not strong enough for anyone else to feel, but it kind of feels like they're swimming or something in me."

"I bet Derek's driving you crazy," Lexie giggled as she pulled into her apartment parking lot.

"You have no idea," Meredith sighed as she pulled herself out of the car. "Apparently if he talks to my stomach constantly and never removes his hand from my stomach, they'll kick him sooner."

"He's going to be such an amazing dad."

"I know," Meredith smiled, looking down at her stomach. "They're the luckiest girls in the entire world."

"Okay," Lexie sighed as they reached her apartment door. "Just don't be mad."

"Mad?" Meredith frowned. "Why would I..." she trailed off as she stepped into the apartment, blinking in surprise at the large group of people that were gathered there, surrounded by streamers and presents and...pink. Lots and lots of pink. "What?"

"It's your baby shower, Mer," Lexie smiled. "We wanted to be sure we did it while you were still in the second trimester, but we waited until you found of the sexes."

"Congratulations, dear," Emma smiled as she stepped forward to hug a still shocked Meredith. "I'm so happy for you."

"Mer, do you feel okay?" Liz asked as she stepped forward. "Maybe you should sit down."

"I'm fine," Meredith smiled, reaching out to hug her. "Just...shock."

Before anyone else could reply, the door slammed open and Derek rushed in, his eyes immediately zeroing in on Meredith as he approached her, resting his hands on her belly.

"Mer," he breathed. "What's wrong? Lexie left me a message and said that I had to get over here right away for you. Are the girls okay?"

"They're fine," Meredith giggled, turning to look at her sisters and friends. "And we're having a baby shower."

"Baby...what?" Derek frowned, finally looking around the room.

"The first party for our girls," Meredith smiled, moving his hand to her stomach. "They'll get lots of presents."

"Oh," Derek smiled, looking down at her stomach. "You hear that, girls? You and Mommy are going to get spoiled today."

"Sorry we didn't tell you, Derbear," Caitlin giggled. "We knew you can't keep secrets, especially from Mer."