29

"Meredith."

Her name rolled off his tongue easily as she kissed him back, her hand weaving through his hair as he ran his own hands over her sides, cursing the armrest between them from getting closer.

"You're here," he heard her whisper against his lips. "You came, you actually came."

Derek smiled slightly as he pulled back to search her eyes, happiness shining behind the tears that were still lingering on her cheeks. "Of course I came," he breathed, his thumb brushing her tears away. "Did you think I wouldn't?"

"I didn't know," she whispered. "Lexie and Izzie said you would, but I wasn't sure, and..."

She was cut off by the feeling of Derek's lips against hers again. "Lexie and Izzie were right," he whispered.

"I love you," Meredith whispered. "I love you so much, and I'm so sorry. For my mom, for Andrew...everything."

"I'm sorry too," Derek replied. "But we're here now. I love you, and I never want to be without you again."

"Me either," Meredith whispered, cuddling closer to him. "You're here."

"I'm here," Derek laughed slightly. "We're on our way to Europe."

"We are," Meredith breathed. "Wow."

He held her closely for a moment, inhaling the strong scent of lavender as he closed his eyes and memorized everything about this moment. Meredith was back in his arms, and nothing could be as perfect as that.

"Derek," she said softly, pulling away from him after a moment. "I love you. Like really love you, and I'm really glad that you're here. But...I'm still not sure that I trust you."

"Oh," Derek swallowed hard, looking down at the floor. "I guess we do have a lot to talk about."

"It's a good thing we have a twelve hour flight ahead of us," Meredith smiled slightly.

"It will be a good way to spend the time," Derek nodded, reaching for her hand. "I'll do anything you need me to, Mer. I want you to trust me again, and I'll do anything to show you how I want you forever."

Meredith smiled as she squeezed his hand. "Thank you," she whispered. "I think I just need time."

"Okay," Derek nodded, tilting his head to the side. "Do you want to talk?"

Meredith sighed. "Why did you do it?" she whispered. "I asked you specifically to let me take care of my mother. And then you went to her. I believe you when you said that you weren't going to cash the check, I do. But you still went to talk to her after I asked you not to. I know it sounds like a stupid reason to be upset, but with my past with her, I just really didn't want her to destroy what we had."

"I was trying to protect you," Derek sighed, resting his head against the back of the seat. "The way she treats you...that's not okay, Mer. She's horrible. And I thought I'd be able to help her see how amazing you are, that she could be proud of you."

"My mother will never be proud of me," she whispered. "I've accepted that a long time ago."

"I know that now," Derek sighed. "But Mer? You can't blame this entire break up on me."

"I know," she sighed, leaning forward to rest her forehead against his. "I'm sorry, Derek, I really am. I over reacted. I should have let you explain, and then maybe we would have had those six months."

Derek smiled softly. "We'll just have to make this vacation count, then," he whispered.

Meredith smiled as she nodded. "And you know what we can do now?"