17

Derek smiled as he propped himself up on his elbow, looking down at Meredith as she slept soundly beside him. They had spent the past day and a half together in her bed, and now she was dozing quietly beside him as the rare winter sunshine streamed through the blinds and landed on her face. He couldn't believe how adorable she was as she slept, curled tightly around him, and he was pretty sure that he could watch her sleep forever and never get bored.

"You're staring at me," she murmured, her eyes still closed.

Derek smiled as he leaned over to lace his fingers through his. "You're cute," he said.

"You're weird," Meredith sighed as she rolled closer to him.

"I'm not weird," Derek laughed. "What else am I supposed to do while you sleep?"

Meredith giggled as she rolled on top of him. "You could make me food," she said.

"You're hungry?" Derek laughed.

"We never actually ate breakfast," Meredith pointed out.

Derek laughed as he held her closely. "I believe that you're the one that initiated the sex on the kitchen table," he said.

"It's a good thing I hid those condoms in the cookie jar," Meredith giggled. "But now I'm hungry."

"Okay," Derek smiled. "Anything in particular?"

"Something quick," Meredith murmured, burying her face in his pillow. "Come back soon."

"Alright," Derek smiled, leaning down to press a kiss to her forehead. "I love you."

"Love you too," she whispered.

Derek smiled as he pulled on a pair of pajama pants and a T-shirt. He couldn't believe how much he loved being here with her, in her house and feeling like they were really living together. He hated that Meredith was going back to work the next day, and he hated even more that he had to start his last semester of med school the next week. He wasn't sure he was ready to lose this, to have to make plans and work to see Meredith. It was so much easier now, when they didn't have any responsibilities and could just spend all their time together.

A knock on the door made him look up from the stove, and frown. Izzie was still with her mother, and Lexie was out with some friends, but he knew Meredith hadn't been expecting any visitors.

He flicked the stove off and moved into the hallway, frowning when he saw an older woman standing impatiently on the other side of the door. "Can I help you?" he asked as he opened the door.

"Who are you?" the woman asked.

"Excuse me?" Derek asked.

"What are you doing in my house?"

"I'm sorry," Derek frowned. "Your house?"

Before the woman could respond, there were footsteps on the stairs and Meredith's voice asked, "Der, who's at the...oh."

"Now it's all making sense," the woman rolled her eyes as she looked at Derek. "Honestly, Meredith, are you still going through men like normal people go through water?"

"Mom," Meredith sighed, and suddenly it all began to made sense to Derek. "That's not true."

Ellis Grey rolled her eyes as she pushed between the two of them into the hallway. "I'm not interested in hearing about your love life," she said. "I'm in town for a conference, and they've called me in for a consult at the hospital. I thought I'd check in and make sure that my house is still standing, especially with those people you call your roommates."

"They're my friends," Meredith whispered, and Derek frowned as he watched his strong, confident girlfriend transform into a meek girl who could barely even speak above a whisper.