66

"Derek."

A voice was saying his name and someone was shaking him, but he didn't want to wake up. His first solo surgery the day before had been completely long, and Meredith had come home complaining of swollen ankles, so he'd made her dinner and given her a long foot rub. But now he wanted to sleep, and he couldn't ignore his pregnant wife shaking him violently.

"Derek," she insisted, punching his shoulder. "Wake up. Right now, you have to wake up."

"What do you need?" he murmured without opening his eyes. "Tacos? Chocolate milk?"

"What?" she frowned. Or at least he thought she frowned. He still hadn't opened his eyes.

"Craving," he murmured. "I'll get you whatever you want. Unless it's chocolate covered pickles again."

"No," she cried, tugging on his hand. "I feel them."

"Feel what?"

"Your children."

"What?" Derek asked, suddenly wide awake as he sat up quickly. "Where? When? What's it feel like?"

"They woke me up," she said, moving his hand to the top of her stomach. "Do you feel that?"

"No," he frowned. "What's it feel like?"

"I don't know," she said, a soft smile on her face as she stared down at her belly. "It's... bubbly."

"Bubbly?"

"It's the only word I can think of," she giggled. "They're not kicking. It's kind of like they're...swimming or something. In my stomach."

"They're not strong enough for me to feel yet," he sighed. "I hate not feeling them. It's not fair."

"You'll feel soon," she promised.

"Hmm," Derek nodded. "I'll ask Dr. White later."

"She said you've been stalking her," Meredith giggled. "You're not exactly stealth, Der."

"It's not stalking when you have an appointment," Derek protested. "It was last on the list."

"It is when you slide a five page list of questions and concerns under the door of her office."

"She wasn't supposed to tell you that."

"She did one better," Meredith giggled, reaching into her dresser and pulling a pile of papers out. "And I can't believe you asked her for sex positions that are safe for the babies."

"I don't want to hurt them," Derek protested.

"Whatever," she sighed, getting out of bed.

"Where are you going?" Derek frowned.

"Getting ready," Meredith replied. "Our appointment's in an hour and a half. There's a reason I woke you up."

"Since you just felt my babies move, I'll forgive you for making an eight thirty doctor's appointment," he sighed.

"Stop being a baby," she giggled. "I made it early so I can be at work by third period classes."

"I still don't like that you're still working," he frowned as he followed her into the bathroom.

"I'm only four months," she shrugged around her toothbrush. "It's fine. I sit most of the time."

"Yes, the place where you got held hostage by a crazy girl with a gun," Derek said. "That's exactly where I want my wife and babies to go everyday. It scares me, Mer. I can't help it."

"I'm not going to be scared to go to school," Meredith shook her head. "The students are still scared, they don't need their teacher to be scared too. There's a lot more security now."