88

"Alright, Mrs. Shepherd," Officer Peters sighed an hour later as he snapped his notebook closed and stood. "We're going to go talk to this guy, but I can't promise a restraining order without the proper evidence."

"Evidence?" Derek asked, his hand moving in slow circles along Meredith's back. "What kind of evidence do you need?"

"Well, I'm not going to say that his words to your wife didn't matter," Officer Peters said. "But we need to have more solid basis for a restraining order. A threat others have overheard, some sort of attempt at physical violence."

"So you can't make sure my family is safe until they've already been hurt?" Derek snapped.

"No," Officer Peters said. "We're going to be sure to talk to this guy, let him know we're watching and as soon as he makes one wrong move we're jailing his ass. But as for keeping him legally away from you two...I can't do much about that at this point."

"So what do we do?" Meredith asked. "We live in the middle of nowhere, I can't go back there and feel safe."

"I'm sure Emma will be alright with letting you stay here as long as you feel comfortable, Mrs. Shepherd," Office Peters said. "And we'll be sure to let you know as soon as we've brought him in."

"That's it?" Derek demanded. "He threatens my wife, my daughters, and you're just going to give him a slap on the wrist?"

"It's all we can do," Officer Peters sighed. "We'll patrol the house a couple times tonight, make sure everything's alright. And here's my cell phone number if something happens, don't hesitate to call."

"Thank you, Alex," Emma sighed as she stood to walk towards the door. "Please let us know if you need anything else from us."

"Of course, Emma," Officer Peters nodded.

Emma smiled as she closed the door behind him, turning back to the living room and smiling widely at Derek and Meredith. "Alright, who's ready for some spaghetti for dinner?" she asked. "I thought I'd make some garlic bread as well."

"I'm not hungry," Meredith sighed as she reached for Becky and leaned into the couch, holding her daughter close to her.

"Mer, you have to eat," Derek sighed as he reached for Melanie.

"Maybe later," she sighed.

"Why don't you just try a little bit?" Derek asked, running a hand over her hair.

"Okay," she whispered.

"That's my girl," Derek smiled, pressing his lips to her head.

"Come on, dear," Emma smiled. "You can help me while Derek watches the girls. He doesn't get nearly enough alone time with them since he works such unusual hours."

"Just make sure you don't leave her alone in the kitchen," Derek laughed as he took Becky from her arms.

"Not funny," Meredith rolled her eyes, but a small giggle escaped her lips.

"There we are," Derek smiled. "I love the giggle."

"I love you," Meredith sighed, kissing him quickly before she turned to follow Emma into the kitchen.

"Alright, dear, why don't you put the garlic spread on the bread?" Emma sighed as she placed the items on the counter, then reached for the spaghetti pot.

"Sure," Meredith nodded. She settled onto a bar stool and reached for the knife, cutting the bread in two and looking at Emma carefully. "You don't think I'm crazy, right?"

"Of course not," Emma sighed, turning to look at her. "You're scared, dear, and I can't imagine what you must be thinking right now."

"I'm thinking that if I'd never broken up with Derek in the first place none of this would have happened," Meredith whispered, placing the knife on the cutting board and looking down at her hands. "And then we wouldn't be here, putting you in danger."