43

"You like it?" Derek breathed later that afternoon as he leaned against Meredith's desk in her empty classroom, smiling down at her as she studied the ring.

"It's beautiful," she breathed. "It's...it looks familiar."

Derek smiled as he reached for her hand, examining it with the new addition. He lifted it to his lips, kissing it gently before he smiled down at her. "It's my mom's ring," he said softly.

"What?" Meredith frowned, pulling her hand out of his grasp to look down at it. "No, this can't be her ring. Her ring's in the shop because the diamond's loose. And I can't take her ring."

"It is her ring," Derek smiled, taking her hand back, stroking his thumb over the diamond. "My dad told me when I was younger that I had to give that ring to the love of my life. So when I realized I was ready to propose, I went and got it from her. She wants you to wear it, Mer. I want you to wear it."

"Wow," Meredith breathed, looking down at the ring. "It's...it's even more beautiful to me now."

Derek smiled softly as he tugged on her hand, pulling her to her feet and into his arms. "You look even more beautiful wearing it," he breathed against her lips.

"Hmmm," Meredith smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck and stepping in between his legs. "You know what I've heard about getting engaged?"

"What?" Derek asked against her lips.

"That engagement sex is even better than make up sex," she breathed in his ear.

"Oh," Derek swallowed hard, squeezing her tightly. "I'd love to test that theory."

"Not here," Meredith giggled, pulling away from him and reaching for the vase of lilies that still sat on her desk. "At home."

"Hmm," Derek sighed, wrapping an arm around her waist as they stepped towards the door. She smiled up at him for a moment before she rested her head against his shoulder. They stood like that in complete contentment for a moment before Meredith pulled back and reached for his hand, smiling coyly as she led him towards the door.

"I have to tell Lexie and Izzie," she sighed as she rested her head against his shoulder. "They'll be so excited."

"Yeah um...Lexie kind of already knows," Derek said.

Meredith frowned up at him for a moment before she rolled her eyes. "That's how you got me out of the classroom?" she asked. "A phone call from Lexie?"

Derek laughed. "Well, see if you can think of anything better, and then I'll admit that the proposal wasn't good enough," he said, squeezing her waist.

"It was perfect," Meredith breathed, stopping in front of her car to press her lips against his. "I love you."

"I love you too," he smiled, returning her kiss.

"We're engaged," Meredith whispered, pulling back from him to stare at her ring.

"We're engaged," Derek nodded.

"I can't believe it," she whispered, wrapping her arms around his neck again. "And we really should go home so we can celebrate properly."

"I like that idea," Derek nodded, pulling her into a kiss.

"Home now," she said breathlessly, pulling back from the kiss.

"Definitely," Derek said, moving to the driver's side of the car.

Meredith slid into the passenger seat, staring down at her hand as Derek pulled out of the parking lot. "I can't believe your mom gave me her ring," she breathed. "I love it. I really thought you would bring home some huge diamond that would make it completely impossible to lift my hand."