60

Derek sighed as he rolled over in bed, reaching for the warm body that usually lay beside him, frowning when he felt nothing but cold sheets beside him. He sighed as he opened his eyes and saw a note sitting on Meredith's bedside table. He reached for it and frowned at the words.

Had to go in early for a meeting. Be home early. Love, Mer. P.S. We'll tour the house when I get home. I have a surprise for you.

He sighed as he leaned back into the pillows. He had the day off, and he'd been planning on starting his wife's day off right with breakfast in bed and a good round of sex, maybe the bendy thing in the shower. She'd casually mentioned about a month ago that she had forgotten to refill her birth control, and although they hadn't talked about it, they had silently agreed that there wasn't any real need for her to refill it. He knew they should probably talk, but no birth control was enough for now. He was ready for a baby, and this was her way of telling him that she was too, so he was okay with it happening when it happened.

But now she had to go in early for a stupid meeting and he was left alone in their trailer with a feeling.

With a sigh, he pushed himself out of bed and reached for some clothes. He might as well see if he could help paint some of the rooms in the house. He'd come home more than once to find his adorable wife covered in paint, giggling loudly and he might as well give it a try.

It was October now, and the house was coming alone well. The outside was completely done, and now they were painting the inside. The electricity was up and running, and as soon as they got all the rooms painted and carpeted, they could move their furniture and belongings in, hopefully in time for Christmas. They couldn't very well fit a Christmas tree in the trailer.

Meredith was surprisingly enjoying her life as a high school teacher a lot more than she had thought she would, even if there were a few students who didn't make her life particularly easy. Hopefully she would have a good day so she would be in the mood for him to spoil her when she got home, maybe have an all night sex marathon. Yes, that would be perfect.

If only he could get rid of this feeling.

XXXXX

Meredith sighed as she dropped into the chair behind her desk. It was second period, her free period, and she was already looking forward to a break. She had woken with a feeling in her stomach and all she wanted was to hear her husband's voice, make sure he was okay. Because the last time she had had a feeling like this, Michael Shepherd had been shot and killed, so she wasn't sure she could make it through the day without hearing Derek's voice assuring her that he was fine. She needed him to calm the feeling in her stomach.

She reached for her cell phone, smiling widely as she heard her husband's voice pick up. "Aren't you supposed to be working?" he teased lightly, and she could hear the laughter in his voice.

"Free period," she replied, hoping she sounded normal. She didn't need a worried husband on her hands right now.

"What's wrong?" he asked immediately.

She sighed as she leaned back into her seat, looking at their wedding picture that faced her from the front of her desk. "I have a feeling," she admitted quietly. "A really bad feeling."

"I get those," Derek assured her in the soft voice that always seemed to calm her down.

"You do?" she asked.

"Yeah," Derek said. "You just have to wait for it to pass. It will, soon enough. I promise."

"I love you," Meredith whispered. Because in that moment, she couldn't imagine not saying it.