24

"Thanks for helping me out today, Derek," Michael sighed as he opened cash register behind the counter in his store. "I know you probably had plans with your girlfriend, but it's the week before Easter, it can get busy. And with Will sick, I'm short a person on the floor."

"It's no problem, Dad," Derek smiled as he reached for a guitar. "And Addison's not my girlfriend."

"Right," Michael nodded, a smirk playing on his face. "She's just your friend. Who's a girl."

"Dad," Derek groaned. "Stop."

"Stopping, I'm stopping," Michael laughed, heading into the back. "I got a shipment of tuners in, can hold down the fort out here?"

"I think I can handle it," Derek said, gesturing to the empty store.

Michael laughed as he disappeared into the back of the store. Derek looked down at the guitar, his hands moving easily over the fret as he tried not to think about the last time he'd played. New Year's Eve, when Meredith had given him what had probably been the hottest sex ever. Not that he only missed the sex, he missed everything about her, but he could only hold out for so long.

Addison was nice, he was enjoying spending time with her. But he would never call her his girlfriend, he hadn't even kissed her. She was just someone who was nice to be around, someone who he could talk to. She had already gotten several ear fulls about Meredith, and she knew that he wasn't looking to date her. He just wanted to be her friend.

The door swung open and Derek automatically looked up from his guitar, his heart stopping when he saw Meredith enter, giggling as she clutched the hand of the man standing beside her. He clutched his guitar tightly, if for no other reason than to make sure that he didn't punch the jackass in the face.

"Can I help you?" he asked politely, standing as he set his guitar aside.

"Derek," Meredith breathed, her eyes widening and her smile fading as she stepped away from Andrew. "I...what are you doing here?"

"This is my dad's store," Derek replied. "I'm helping him out."

"Oh," Meredith nodded. "It's good to see you."

"You too," Derek said curtly.

"I just need some new strings for my guitar," Andrew said, glancing between Derek and Meredith carefully.

"Sure," Derek nodded, walking over to the shelf with guitar accessories.

"I'm...I'll just go wait in the car," Meredith said carefully.

"Are you okay?" Andrew asked with concern in his eyes. Derek sighed as he watched them, at least glad that Meredith had someone who took care of her.

"I'm fine," she nodded. "I'll just let you do your...music thing and wait outside. Fresh air, you know."

"Okay," Andrew frowned as he watched her leave before he turned back to Derek. "So you two know each other?"

"We dated," Derek sighed. "It was a long time ago."

"Oh," Andrew nodded. "Well, I guess that explains the speedy get away."

"I guess," Derek nodded, holding up a pack of strings. "These are the best we've got. I use them myself."

"Perfect," Andrew smiled.

Derek moved around the counter, his fingers lingering over the buttons for a moment before he looked up at Andrew.

"Are you okay?" Andrew asked as he looked carefully at the soft smile on Derek's face.

"She likes lilies," Derek said softly.