80

"Are you sure it's okay that we bring them home?" Meredith asked, biting her lower lip as she swaddled Becky and set her on the bed beside her sister. "They were nearly a month early."

"You heard Dr. Childs," Derek said, referring to their pediatrician. "They're perfectly healthy."

"And you had the car seats checked?" Meredith asked, reaching out to adjust Melanie's hat

"They have to check them before we leave the hospital," Derek nodded as he set the packed diaper bag on the chair besides the overnight bag containing their own belongings. "We're ready for them to come home, Mer. They're three days old and healthy."

"I know," she sighed. "I'm just worried."

"There's no need to worry," Derek grinned as he scooped Becky into his arms, smiling down at her. "Right hun? Mommy's silly for worrying. You're excited to go home, and so is Mellie."

"Okay," Meredith sighed. "They're both fed, burped and changed. They should be okay until we get home."

"Good," Derek smiled, watching as she picked Melanie up and held her against her chest. "Mark's on his way up. We'll make him carry the bags, because I don't want to put her down."

"You know he's going to have a baby of his own soon," Meredith smiled as she rubbed Melanie's back slightly. "It would help him to practice with our girls, maybe he should carry Becky out."

"No one besides you and I are carrying our daughters out of this hospital," Derek said firmly.

"Uncle Mark is here," Mark announced as he walked into the room, smiling as he looked down at Becky. "Hey Beck, give me five." He frowned as the baby stared up at him before he turned to Meredith. "Mel, you won't leave me hanging, will you?" he asked, offering his hand to Melanie.

Meredith giggled as Melanie gurgled, then spit up a little bit on her shoulder. "They're not ready to do more than eat and sleep," she said as she reached for a spit up cloth. "Do you mind taking the bags?"

"No problem," Mark nodded.

"Thanks," Derek smiled as he moved carefully towards the door. "Ready to go home, Becky? We've got your room all ready for you, and your play room too. You're going to have so much fun."

"And Daddy will probably read to you," Meredith whispered as she trailed her finger down Melanie's cheek.

"Definitely," Derek nodded as he looked up at his wife. "Are you sure you don't need a wheelchair?" he asked.

"I'm sure," Meredith nodded, smiling softly at him. "I just want to go home, get out of here."

"I know, but your incision..."

"Is healing fine," Meredith said. "I have to come back to get the stitches taken out next week, but other than that, it's fine."

"Okay," Derek sighed. "But you have to take it easy. For me. And Becky and Melanie. We don't need Mommy back in the hospital."

"I will," Meredith nodded. "And our daughters are so quiet today. Hopefully that means there won't be any screaming at all today."

Derek smiled as they stepped out of the room and moved towards the elevators. As the doors slid closed, Mark smirked and looked down at Becky. "You know, this is where you little midgets first came to be," he said with a nod. "Right here in this very elevator, during a long shift..."

"Mark," Meredith hissed, staring up at him with flashing eyes.

"What?" Mark asked.

"You can't tell them about how they were conceived," Meredith rolled her eyes.