84

"Becky, sweetheart, don't put that in your mouth," Meredith giggled as she reached out to take her cell phone out of her hands. "You can play with your rattle. Look at Mel, she's playing with hers. Watch your sister."

"They're so active," Emma smiled as she walked into her living room, two cups of tea in her hand.

"They are," Meredith smiled, graciously accepting the cup of tea as she curled into the couch, watching her daughters wiggle on the floor. "I can't believe how big they're getting."

"Well, you can get used to that feeling, dear," Emma sighed. "I can't believe I'm about to have six grandchildren."

"And your son is already pushing for seven," Meredith rolled her eyes. "He actually thinks I want another baby right now."

"The girls are barely two months old," Emma laughed. "I don't think he'd rationally want another one either."

"According to him we need to act now if we want to ensure that the boys beat the girls in this generation," Meredith rolled her eyes. "Apparently there's no doubt that our next one will be a boy."

"I hope you told him that he's going to have to wait a little while before that happens," Emma smiled.

"Three years," Meredith nodded. "I want there to be a solid age difference between the girls and any other siblings."

"You're a smart woman," Emma nodded.

"Married to an idiot," Meredith giggled as she moved to the floor, Emma following her. "Alright, smelly Mellie, let's change your diaper."

Emma reached out to take Becky's rattle from her hands, playing with her grand daughter as she watched Meredith gently change Melanie's diaper. "You're a wonderful mother, Meredith," she murmured.

Meredith smiled softly as she reached for a clean diaper. "That's what everyone keeps telling me," she said.

"Because it's true," Emma smiled, reaching to cradle Becky close to her. "Your children clearly love you."

"They have to," Meredith smiled down at Melanie. "I'm their mother. I feed them, so they love me."

"That's true," Emma nodded. "But I've seen lots of new mothers, and you're outshining them all."

Meredith smiled as she set Melanie back on the blanket, turning to shove the dirty diaper into a plastic bag to be thrown away later. "That's a real compliment coming from..." she trailed off as she turned back to the blanket, seeing Melanie resting on her right side as she reached for her rattle. "Melanie," she breathed. "Oh sweetheart, good job. That was amazing."

"Is this a first?" Emma asked with a smile.

"It is," Meredith murmured, blinking back tears as Melanie flopped back onto her back. "Oh, wow."

"It's amazing, isn't it?" Emma murmured, pressing a kiss to the top of Becky's head and placing her on the blanket.

"It really is," Meredith breathed, picking Melanie up and kissing her cheek. "Good job, sweetheart. Mommy's so proud of you. So is Grandma. You'll have to do this again for Daddy when he comes over. He'll be here soon."

"Assuming he'll be able to get away from hearing Mark talk about Jake," Emma laughed. "Apparently Addison had a check up today, and Mark was planning on showing him off at the hospital."

"He is a really proud father," Meredith nodded. "He's giving Derek a run for his money."

"Derek loves his girls more than anything in the world," Emma smiled. "I've never seen his eyes light up more than when he looks at these little angels. He's out doing his own father."