61

"I can't believe you're pregnant," Derek murmured as he helped Meredith climb onto the exam table a couple hours later.

"I just found out," she murmured.

"Are you sure you feel okay?" Derek asked. "You're pale. Do you need some water? Something to eat?"

"Derek, I just watched one of my students shoot herself in the head," she snapped. "No, I'm not okay."

"Right," he murmured, squeezing her hand gently. "Sorry. We'll get you home as soon as we're done."

"No," she sighed, looking up at the ceiling. "I'm sorry. This is supposed to be happy, but I just...I can't get that image out of my head. It was horrible, Derek, and I can't just let it go."

"I know," he whispered, leaning forward to press a kiss to her head. "You'll be okay, Mer. I'll help you through it, whatever you need. And I'm talking spoiling. Breakfast in bed, the works."

"Thank you," she whispered.

There was a soft knock on the door, and a moment later, a doctor stepped in, smiling widely. "Dr. Shepherd," she nodded.

"Dr. White," he smiled slightly.

"And you must be Meredith," Dr. White said with a smile. "It's nice to meet the woman Dr. Shepherd talks about so much."

"Nice to meet you," Meredith murmured.

Dr. White smiled sympathetically as she reached out to set up the sonogram. "I'm sure you're baby is fine," she assured them. "But we'll do an ultrasound just to make sure. It may be too early to see anything though."

Meredith was silent as she stared at the screen, clutching Derek's hand tightly. Dr. White pressed a few buttons on the monitor before running the probe over Meredith's still flat stomach. "There we are," she said with a smile. "Everything looks good. It's still very early, I'd say that you're only three weeks along. Much too early for a heartbeat, but I'm not concerned about development."

"Oh," Derek breathed, smiling at the screen as he gripped her hand. "Meredith, that's our baby."

Meredith frowned as she propped herself up on her elbows, staring at the screen for a moment before she turned to Derek with tear filled eyes. "Derek, I can't see it," she whispered.

Derek smiled softly as he sat down beside her on the exam table, wrapping an arm around her waist as he pointed at a small spot on the screen. "See that?" he whispered, looking down at her.

She nodded silently, tears spilling down her cheeks. She clutched Derek's shirt tightly, staring at the screen.

"Mer, that's it. That's our baby."

"Oh," Meredith gasped, staring at the screen for a moment, reaching out to run her fingers over the screen before loud sobs wracked her body, causing her to bury her face in her hands, her shoulders heaving.

"Oh, Mer," Derek breathed, pulling her closer as she turned into his chest, her tears soaking his shirt as she clutched at the fabric. "It's okay. You're going to be fine. And so will the baby."

"We're having a baby," she sobbed. "And Emily...she just...she's dead, Derek. And we're having a baby."

"Shhh," Derek breathed, rocking her gently. "It's okay, Mer, let it out. I'm right here, it's okay to cry."

"I'll give you two a moment," Dr. White murmured. "I'll come back in a few minutes to follow up."

"Thanks," Derek smiled before he turned back to his wife, rocking her gently in his arms. "It's okay, Mer," he whispered. "I'm here." He ran a hand through her hair, letting her cry her feelings out.