72

"Derek," Meredith giggled as she tried to scramble out of his view a week later. "Put the camera down."

"But I want pictures of you all cute and fat," Derek laughed, snapping a picture as she moved towards their bathroom.

"Excuse me?" Meredith asked, an eyebrow raised as she turned to look at him with her teacher face.

"I mean...I want pictures of my babies growing in your stomach, which is completely proportional to what one would think when having two babies inside of it," Derek nodded quickly.

"Nice save," Meredith rolled her eyes as she disappeared into the bathroom in their bedroom.

"Are you sure you're feeling okay?" Derek asked as he leaned against the doorway of the bathroom.

"I'm fine," Meredith nodded. "They're both asleep right now, so I can actually function."

"That's good," Derek smiled. "You hungry?"

"A little," she sighed as she washed her hands. "You're going to have to help me down the stairs."

"Always," Derek nodded, taking her hand and leading him towards the bedroom door. "Hang on."

"Seriously?" Meredith asked, crossing her arms over her chest as he snapped another picture of her.

"Could you try to smile?" Derek asked. "When we show these to Mel and Becky you might want them to think you were a little excited to have them. Just smile or... something."

"Of course I'm excited to have them," Meredith rolled her eyes. "But that doesn't mean I want to be photographed every minute of every day. I'm huge, Derek, I don't need to be reminded of this."

Before Derek could respond, the sound of the doorbell traveled to their bedroom. "Help me down the stairs so you can answer the door," Meredith ordered, following him into the hallway.

"Bossy," Derek muttered.

"I'd suggest not complaining right now," Meredith said as they slowly made their way down the stairs. "Your daughters are trying to kill me. Actually taking over my body and killing me."

"They're not trying to kill you," Derek rolled his eyes, wondering how he was going to get through the next three months. "Go get comfortable on the couch, I'll answer the door."

"Thank you," Meredith sighed as she walked down the hall, disappearing into the living room.

Derek ran a hand through his hair as he moved to the door, blinking in surprise as he laid eyes on a group of teenagers standing on the porch. "Can I help you?" he asked with a frown.

"This is where Mrs. Shepherd lives, right?" a girl in the front of the group asked with a wide smile.

"Yes," Derek said slowly. "Are you students?"

"Yeah," the girl nodded. "We were really disappointed to hear that she took her maternity leave early. We were going to have a party for her on her planned last day, so we figured we'd bring the party to her."

"Oh," Derek said, surprised with how dedicated his wife's students were to her. "That's really thoughtful, but I'm not sure."

"Derek, do you..." Meredith's voice trailed off as she made her way into the hallway, stopping when she saw her students file into the house, past a speechless Derek. "What are you guys doing here?" she asked.

"We wanted to say a proper goodbye," the girl said as she hugged Meredith closely, handing her a present.

"We have presents," another girl giggled.