Chapter 4: What Makes a Hero

It had been a few days and Bell was figuring out how to level up. In that time, Ais had also started getting to the range to level up again as well. The two pestered Riveria as to how they could do it but she didn't budge.

Riveria: No means no, I'm not sending you kids to kill yourselves.

Ais: But Riveria...

Rivera: Ais...

Bell: (Sorry Grandpa, I'm gonna have to use that.)

Bell walked up to Riveria, widened his eyes and pushed out his lower lip to give the best begging face he could.

Riveria: Gh!

The elf was surprised but held strong.

Riveria: Don't you give me that face.

Bell decided to stop playing around and started to add tears into the mix. This hit Riveria even harder but refused to budge. Seeing that this was going nowhere, the two left to get Ais a potato snack and cheer her up. Ais and Bell sat at a bench to eat before a blonde man with a hat came up to them.

???: What's got you two so down?

Ais: No one is telling us how to level up. I already did once, but it was on accident and they won't tell me how I did it.

Ais pouted at the man before he started laughing.

???: Haha, well why don't I tell you how.

Bell: Really?

Hermes: Sure, I'm the god, Hermes, by the way.

Bell: I'm Bell.

Ais: Ais, Lord Hermes.

Hermes: Anyway, the way to level up is to accomplish a feat that impresses even the gods.

Ais: How done do that?

Hermes: In simple terms, do something that should be considered impossible for you.

Ais: I see.

Bell: So, if we were able to beat a strong monster, we could level up?

Hermes: That's correct.

Bell: Alright, let's go try!

The boy thanked the god and left for the dungeon.

Ais: Wait for me!

They both went to the dungeon to find a strong monster to beat. It would've been harder for Ais since she was already level 2 so she needed to find something stronger. They were in the middle floors before their opportunity found them.

Adventurer A: GYAAAAH!!!

A group of adventurers were being beaten down by a group of minotaurs. Bell saw this and decided to jump in and help, Ais followed shortly after. An adventurer was about to get slashed before Bell blocked the axe of the monster.

Bell: Are you okay?

Adventurer B: I am, but two of us already got killed. There only me and my friend left.

Bell: We can handle this, get going.

Adventurer B: We can't just let a bunch of kids fight those monsters.

Adventurer A: We... we have to go, now!These kids can handle it, they're the Doll Princess and the boy is the rookie.

Ais: We'll be fine.

He grabbed his injured friend and  they left the two down there. After they left, Bell and Ais began fighting through the minotaur horde. At first, the were surrounded but were able to break through overtime. However, more and more rushed to where the two were and began to wear them down. It was nearly ten minutes later when they stopped spawning and allowed the two to catch their breaths.